pH Lowering Methods..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hypostomus

Aquarium Advice Freak
This isn't urgent by any means- I am simply doing more research for the tank I am setting up in the fall. I'm not sure about the pH in question yet (it's in another state..) or if lowering it is actually what I want to do, but I'm simply scrounging for methods to lower pH anyway. Naturally this would be useful for other projects as well..

Now, my tanks at home are generally stuffed with driftwood, and yet this does not make a dent in the water's pH of 7.8. The rocks in the tanks are neutral. So even though the tank I'm setting up is also going to be filled with driftwood (even more so), I'm not going to rely on it to make the water acidic.

Peat is an option. I was thinking of merely filling some of my media baskets with peat bags to start, but I'm interested in knowing if anyone has a particular method to generate the greatest change. I think peat would not have any effect on my home tanks because of the high buffering capacity, though this is just speculation based on my experience with driftwood.

If I can (we have the units, but I'm not sure yet if I have permission) I will be using RO water in the mix, which I expect will greatly cut down any pH lowering issues that formerly could not be overcome by driftwood and peat. My only concern is the same thing that will help me- the lack of buffering capacity.

The substrate will also be TBMS instead of gravel, and I believe TBMS is neutral? Anyone want to chime in on that? I have yet to check the properties of some of the rocks I've collected, but if they are of no use for this tank then I'll ditch them and find something else.

Blackwater extracts are not financially viable for the tank size, though I'm interested in experimenting with the visual effect of blackwater. I imagine peat filtration will supply some of it.

Lastly, would those small Hagen CO2 dispensers be of any use as far as lowering pH? Or are they only useful in that respect on their rated tank size?

Yes, but I was wondering if the smaller Hagen units would be of any use for that purpose or if I would have to use the size designed for my tank (the one I can't afford :p).

OH!! OK. The small hagen CO2 cannisters will not help at all. For CO2 you would have to go injected/pressurized. As for lowering PH...remember that a stable PH is much more important than a lower PH. A established tank with driftwood will definately have a lower PH. You could always try a layer of peat undr the substrate!

Any ideas on types of fish yet? Are you going to go planted?

HTH :)

I am going to go with minimal planting because I have the lighting necessary for a fully planted set-up, but not the CO2 system (which by my estimates is going to cost roughly $200+ with everything). I am growing some java fern and moss at present for the purpose, but that's about it.

The tank is an African river biotope, and you can see the fish I'm working with on this thread: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=22378&highlight= :)

I have also been curious about the hagen canisters. I have a 33gal and I want to lower my PH as well. Would one or two of these units do the job?? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom