PH question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keepers_girl

Aquarium Advice Regular
The PH in my 10gal is currently 7.8-8.0. It's a new tank and I'm wondering how to lower the PH. I know that driftwood helps but its not part of my plan. Can anyone recommend easy ways to help? Thanks!

In most applications there is no need to mess with pH. Most fish will adapt. The best way to set up a tank is to buy fish that fit the water in your area. pH adjustment is a subject where you will hear lots of differing views. Just make sure to check the water from the store before dumping your fish into your tank. A drastic change could really hurt them even if your tank is what they normally have in the wild.

Unless you are planning on breeding them the natural levels of pH are not that important. Even then match the store and then change them to match their origional habitat slowly.

What kind of tank do you have in mind? Seeing how you do'nt want driftwood, that throws out one natural way to lower PH.

Peat in your filter will soften water a little.

CO2 injection will also lower your PH, if your doing a planted tank.

I plan on a planted tank (stilll working on getting the plants!:)) with the small canister CO2 injector. I have the HOB aqua clear mini filter. Do you mean that I can put peat in that???

Perhaps a moderator needs to move this topic to the planted tank forum, where it will get more responses :wink:

Keeper, if you can post what ideas you have in mind for your 10g it would be much easier for us to help.

As mentioned earlier. Stable PH is far more important than the "perfect PH", unless your wanting to breed a certain species.

Let us know what you have in mind :)

I plan on a planted tank with the following specs:

-Eco-complete substrate
-aqua-clear mini filter
-2X 20-watt PC lighting
-one Queen Arabesque Pleco which will be my focus and I will move her to a 55gal when necessary
-5X rummynose tetras
-2X zebra loaches

Hopefully this info helps----good idea about moving it to the planted tank section. :D

Back
Top Bottom