Plant problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swampman

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi I am having a plant problem. This is in a 20gl tank up since December 2019. Eco complete, Excell,Flourish trace,Envy Propel. Excell, everyday, Flourish trace and envy every other day and propel every other day. The plant was growing great New strong shoots and sending out new plants. Than started to fade. That is when I started using Flourish Trace. Didn't help. Lights are Fluvial Plant LED and on 10 hours with a couple of blue leds for 2 hours in the evening. The other plants are growing like weeds. What do you think is wrong.Does this plant need CO2? thanks

Attachments

• plant 1.jpg
    plant 1.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 95
  • plant 2.jpg
    plant 2.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 92
re

Aquavitro makes Envy General fertilizer and Propel iron. A premium product from Seachem. The products are a bit more but you use less. :cool::cool:

Hi I am having a plant problem. This is in a 20gl tank up since December 2019. Eco complete, Excell,Flourish trace,Envy Propel. Excell, everyday, Flourish trace and envy every other day and propel every other day. The plant was growing great New strong shoots and sending out new plants. Than started to fade. That is when I started using Flourish Trace. Didn't help. Lights are Fluvial Plant LED and on 10 hours with a couple of blue leds for 2 hours in the evening. The other plants are growing like weeds. What do you think is wrong.Does this plant need CO2? thanks

Have you ever used root tabs under the sword? Amazon swords are very heavy root feeders compared to the rotala indica and ludwigia repens you have in there. The stem plants can easily utilize the ferts in the water column and your sword cannot access them as readily. Adding root tabs near the base of your sword could help it perk up. Also, swords do not require co2 to grow well in most cases. I sounds like light and substrate are good so I would try root tabs and I think you will see improvement.

Funny. so this is what I got?

Had one leaf with some roots at the bottom, it was part of an aquarium plant package.
Actually never thought much of it until one day brown hairs would come off it.
Tried to clean it off and threw the brown stuff in the bucket with old aquarium water.
Luckily do I check me water always before throwing away...
That leaf made babies and now I got a whole new mini plant.

That leaf is still throwing baby plants at me every month orso.

They doing fine without Co2 or any other plant food.
Doesn't grow that fast but it looks nice.

Aquavitro makes Envy General fertilizer and Propel iron. A premium product from Seachem. The products are a bit more but you use less. :cool::cool:

Unfortunately the Seachem fertilizer line-up you are using is missing all of the macro nutrients that plant's need in large quantities, being Nitrogen, Phosphorous and Potassium.

They do have a decent ratio / amount of micro nutrients however.

I am also using Flourish Trace. I am going to buy some tabs. I believe that is the solution.:);)

No, you need to supply the plants with a full nutrient solution. Seachem fertilizers will not do that, nor will tabs (tabs are over 70% inert ingredients).

I suggest am all-in-one fertilizer such as Thrive.

Never heard of Thrive. I also use Flourish Trace.

Flourish Trace on only trace nutrients, Flourish Comprehensive is only micro nutrients, Flourish Nitrogen is only nitrogen, Flourish Potassium is only potassium.

The envy line is not nutrients at all, they are ammonia acids / vitamins.

Thrive is all macros and all micro's in one bottle.

What ZxC said. Flourish is good for the micro nutrients but didn't really include macros needed. I like Thrive too--I use it in my tanks with Flourish Excel in a couple.

Back
Top Bottom