Platy attacking guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vienolac

Aquarium Advice Freak
Any reason why my platy would be attacking my guppy? The guppy is small, but all my fish are in a 20 gallon. I have 4 guppies 1 platy 1 ballon Molly 1 dalmation Molly 1 sword tail and 1 rainbow shark

Any reason why the platy would be attacking? Am I over stocked?
What's up peeps

I think some fish, just like people, can be jerks. I've got a platy like that too. He picked on my poor betta to the point I had to move the betta. Now he chases the other platy around. I'm contemplating re-homing the little creep.

Yah we currently have our platie in a container to separate him from the fish we do like lol.
He is such a d bag some times.

He's been eating the guppies tail
Like, litterally he is missing most of his back tail

Any reason why my platy would be attacking my guppy? The guppy is small, but all my fish are in a 20 gallon. I have 4 guppies 1 platy 1 ballon Molly 1 dalmation Molly 1 sword tail and 1 rainbow shark

Any reason why the platy would be attacking? Am I over stocked?
What's up peeps

Ya you are kind of overstocked but the wrong fish is acting out. It should be the shark, they are aggressive and your tank is on the small side for it. They shouldn't really be housed in anything small then a 50 gal tank to be honest. Here is a link for ya. Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Rainbow Shark

The Platy may be attacking because there is a lack of space for everyone in there. How long have you had your tank set up for? How long have you had your fish?

Let's see. I have has this tank set up for almost a month maybe,
I believe it is still cycling but almost completed
The fish.
There are 2 I have ha for maybe 2-3 months, and the rest are all about 1-2 months, expect the shark is probably just a few weeks.

I watches my fish for several hours on several occasions. And it was always the Platie attacking the Guppy, like literally. Eating his tail.
It went from a beautiful guppy to one with a jaggedly flat back tail......
Needles to say we rehomed the Platie, however. Now the shark chases the smaller fish that swim to the bottom left of the tank, tho he did not do that before when we had the Platie

Let's see. I have has this tank set up for almost a month maybe,
I believe it is still cycling but almost completed
The fish.
There are 2 I have ha for maybe 2-3 months, and the rest are all about 1-2 months, expect the shark is probably just a few weeks.

I watches my fish for several hours on several occasions. And it was always the Platie attacking the Guppy, like literally. Eating his tail.
It went from a beautiful guppy to one with a jaggedly flat back tail......
Needles to say we rehomed the Platie, however. Now the shark chases the smaller fish that swim to the bottom left of the tank, tho he did not do that before when we had the Platie

Ya you will get that with a shark when they are in a tank too small and they are very territorial.

My rainbow shark I had in my community tank which is 69gallons, the bigger he got the more aggressive he got and by the time he was fully grown he had attacked numerous fish I think, tails and fins of guppies and angels were nipped etc, I treated the tank for fin rot and nipped fins but as I watched he would actively just go after the others so I had to rehome him, it just wasnt working in my tank they can be aggressive especially if the tank is too small

Back
Top Bottom