Please Help the Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LillaEst

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there,

First, let me say I am new to the world of aquariums so be gentle.

I have the following setup:

4 foot (90cm (L) 45cm (H) and 30cm (W) tank which brings the volume to 120L or 31-32 US Gallons.

I have the following in it:

6 - 7 kg of gravel
2 x real plants
2 x medium lava rocks
1 x 500 W heater
1 x HJ 952 Submersible Pump
1 x Medium Air Stone
1 Large Shell

(I had a smaller tank but due to the "lack of honesty" from the pets hop bought fish that needed their space so I got everything bigger)

The "usable" water mass is about 95 L (25 US Gallons).

I have the following fish:

1x silver dollar (2.5cm high)
1x sailfin molly (1cm high)
2 x dalmation mollies (1cm high)
2x rio tetras (1.5 cm high)
1x Plecto
2x Angelfish (2cm max with fins)

Is this overkill, enough or can I add more?

I really want to make sure that I put the safety of my fish first, I had a struggle with their tempers but that's sorted now that they are in a bigger tank etc.

Last edited:
I would say that this is definitely enough. The pleco will make a mess, so be prepared to do some weekly water changes! :)

Sent per three-eyed raven..

Thanks

Hi there,

Thanks so much for the reply.

Will definitely not add more fish.

(PS - Thanks for being nice)

Please research all your fish. Some need larger tanks ?

Silver Dollars tend to eat many live plants...but feeding greens and veggies helps. They like to be in groups. I doubt you'd have room for three or more 6" fish. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+836+2522&pcatid=2522. There are a few species called Silver Dollar...some get larger.

Common Plecos can hit 12-24". They need huge tanks and big filters.

Angelfish need Tall tanks. http://m.wikihow.com/Care-for-an-Angelfish. I've always recommended at least a 50g for 2 Angels. They will spar.

Your Tetras should have at least 4 or more of the same species.

If it was my tank ? I'd return/rehome the Pleco, the Angels and maybe the Silver Dollar. Do you have a plan for when the Mollies start breeding ??

Mollies usually need at least 30g but may be ok in your tank.

Read up on your fish and decide if you want to get a larger tank or rethink your stocking.

Good luck, I'm sorry the store sold you such large fish.

1x Plecto

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Please research all your fish. Some need larger tanks ?

Silver Dollars tend to eat many live plants...but feeding greens and veggies helps. They like to be in groups. I doubt you'd have room for three or more 6" fish. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+836+2522&pcatid=2522. There are a few species called Silver Dollar...some get larger.

Common Plecos can hit 12-24". They need huge tanks and big filters.

Angelfish need Tall tanks. http://m.wikihow.com/Care-for-an-Angelfish. I've always recommended at least a 50g for 2 Angels. They will spar.

Your Tetras should have at least 4 or more of the same species.

If it was my tank ? I'd return/rehome the Pleco, the Angels and maybe the Silver Dollar. Do you have a plan for when the Mollies start breeding ??

Mollies usually need at least 30g but may be ok in your tank.

Read up on your fish and decide if you want to get a larger tank or rethink your stocking.

Good luck, I'm sorry the store sold you such large fish.

1x Plecto

Yes yes yes yes yes. Listen to this.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thank you all

Hi there,

I did research my fish AFTER I bought them, (rookie mistake) they were so small when I got them and then I found that they grew quite a bit.

I will have to buy another tank then. The last thing I want is my fishies to suffer.

I will spread them out so that each get their required amount of space, water quality etc.

What can I add to the Plecto tank then, should I keep him in the below mentioned tank...

Not sure you understand how much larger of a tank you'd need if you were going to keep your current stock. The silver dollar could potential be as large as a dinner plate. The two angelfish could potentially reach a similar (slightly smaller) size. The pleco would also get HUGE and come with a big bioload.

If you want a reference, get a dinner plate and put it in front of your tank for comparison (silver dollar), then get another (angelfish), then another (2nd angelfish), then get a chihuahua (pleco) and hold it up too. That's your footprint for just four of your fish when adult.

That's why it was suggested that you return these specific 4 fish. Easier to do that than to plan around keeping them. As what was mentioned, the silver dollar would like to be in groups (3 more plates).

Can't 'fix' this mistake, but you can manage it. Up to you to decide the best route.

Thanks all,

I think I will do whats best. I'll return them or give them to someone who has the capacity for that.

Any fish suggestions for my soon to be empty tank?

Figure out what you're going to keep and then start your research from there. If it's the mollies then they have a specific way they like their water (salty) and PH level (above neutral). They are also live bearers so you need know whether you've got male vs female, how many and a plan for lots of babies. You can add other fish based on compatibility with mollies. Or start completely over.

AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

The link above is to a site that can help you with stocking. It has your tank measurements already input and you can adjust as needed. (you were overstocked with just the pleco)

Would also suggest looking at upgrading your filter at some point down the line.

That is great you are willing and able to upgrade for your fish. Along with what everyone else already said silver dollars need to be kept in groups of 3 or more. They are naturally skittish and feel safer in groups.

Also recommend getting rid of the pleco it is a ploy by pet stores to sell them as algae cleaners. They do eat algae but they create a mess with their waste causing more algae they can also get up to 24" if you have a common pleco which I am assuming you do. Any algea can be controlled by proper amount of water changes.

If you like your Tetras you can build around them.

I avoid Livebearers as I don't want the babies to overstock my tank.

If you like plants, do a sand bottom or EcoComplete ($$).

If the sand is smooth, Corys will LOVE it. http://youtu.be/tPOvOije4vQ

These are my tiny C habrosus http://youtu.be/JrLx1mKDObY

Corys like groups of 6 or more of the same species.

Von Rio Tetras are nice. http://youtu.be/EdrvBKJmOug

Or if you want to start over, I love Harlequin Rasboras. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421262598.682147.jpg

Almost all smaller peaceful fish need to be in groups. Gouramis should be single fish usually. A Honey Gourami or a Dwarf might be nice.

If you like plecos you could do a bristle nose (they actually do eat algae and are pretty cheap) there are also a bunch of "fancy plecos" that would do nicely in a 55 like a gold nugget pleco but those usually hover around $50. But seeing as your pretty new to the hobby you probably don't want invest in such a fish just yet.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you everyone. I found an owner for my Angelfish and my Mollies. I ordered a 300 Liter (80 gallons) tank for my Pleco, still need to add everything to it and have to order a cabinet for it to stand on but so far so good. (due to the price of everything, it will take about a month or two but luckily he is still very small) Still need a home for my lovely Dollar and then I will stock the bedroom tank (one mentioned in my previous post) with something to accompany the Tetra's.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone. I found an owner for my Angelfish and my Mollies. I ordered a 300 Liter (80 gallons) tank for my Pleco, still need to add everything to it and have to order a cabinet for it to stand on but so far so good. (due to the price of everything, it will take about a month or two but luckily he is still very small) Still need a home for my lovely Dollar and then I will stock the bedroom tank (one mentioned in my previous post) with something to accompany the Tetra's.

That's great! One of the first times I've seen someone just take advice without arguing every point made and actually do something about it, and you did it so quickly! Good luck with everything!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

will second that. props to you. Weird that you're choosing the Pleco to build around. The 80 opens the door to a lot of the fish that you are finding new owners for. Any idea of what you want to fully stock the 80 with?

Just a suggestion but the "eel" loaches are very fun and interactive bunch to have in a big tank like that. Dojo's can get 10 inches and Kuhli around 5. I have a dojo and it is the life of my tank always swimming around and exploring. He will eat out of your hand once he gets use to you. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421421627.921793.jpg just remember that they like groups preferably 4+ I only have one but at the time I didn't know they were schooling. And for my tank size (45) it's a peaceful tank and he seems to like it.

If you really like pleco's but don't want the mess I have a clown pleco in the same tank as my dojo. The clown only gets 3-4 inches so it won't make a big mess on everything.

Back
Top Bottom