Please help with Planting a 55 gallon (ideas)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rileymc

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys,

So either today or this weekend I will be getting a 55 gallon aqaurium from Petco ($1 per gallon sale).

I am going to be keeping some small livebearers, and also some other tropical fish with color.

I am going for a natural look and feel, so I am looking to stock my tank with live plants. What kind of substrate and plants should I get? Also, where can I get the decorational drift wood?

Thank you all so much!

Hey, ive recently also set up a natural themed tank, the main plants i went with were crypts and java fern (Both of these plants will grow and spread amazingly. Both very low light low tech plants) with some hairgrass, lilaeopsis and mini anubias (i think). Ive attatched a pic to show what type of gravel i think goes well with a natural theme. In regards to driftwood you should just be able to pick it up in any fish/pet store (well.. at least you can in AUS)1484228278200.jpg1484228285059.jpg

driftwood you can usually get at pet stores.
I use mopani wood in my 55. I found it on the reptile aisle not the fish aisle. but be warned they can leech tannins in the water and make it tea-like (many driftwoods will do this not just mopani) so i would suggest boiling. I however i boiled mine for hours and it still didn't work that well.

I used black sand as my substrate and I LOVE IT. (national geographic brand) I think it makes all my plants pop more. and does the same for my fish. however i also use river rock like the above picture in another tank and it is a close second favorite.

Note some fish prefer a softer/more fine substrate. some fish require sand. so i would figure out what fish you want and then make the tank suit them.

plants: anubis are pretty good for beginners as are amazon swords and water wisteria (good space fillers for their price). I have crypts, moneywart, brazilian pennywort, anarchis, and some ludiwiga in my 55 gallon that has stock lighting. I also use api leaf zone as a fert. I have had bad luck with dwarf baby grass and other fine leafed grass type plants.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom