Pleco not eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrcoolt

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I have been pretty lucky when it comes to algae. There is virtually no algae in my tank. Not sure if I have to thank my plwco for that or not. Anyway, I feed him an algae wafer every night before bed. Usually when I wake up, its gone. The past few nights, it looks like he hasn't even touched the wafer, and its breaking down on the bottom of the tank. Is he tired of wagers and I should feed him something else? I have tried cucumbers, but he doesn't touch it. Any suggestions?

I give my pleco a wafer every few days. It's just a personal preference for me though. I noticed that it wouldn't eat all of it sometimes too, and it'd just let the other fish take it.

Does it eat off the glass still?

Once in a while I will see it on the glass....it mostly hangs out on the driftwood.

What kind of pleco is it because a lot of them as they get older/bigger feed off of the driftwood and a few will almost only eat wood.

From my knowledge bristlenose plecos require wood fiber to assist their digestive system.

Mine goes through phases where it doesn't appear to eat for a while, never all day though. It'll lay on the gravel bed for hours sometimes. I used to be concerned it was dead.

What I've learned here, it's almost always about the water quality. I would suggest testing it. Pet stores do it for free if you don't have a testing kit. There's always the possibility that it's stressed too.

That's really all I can think of right now, the internet is a great tool to help with certain issues like that too. I was told if you research online, and 3 or more articles say the same thing, then that's a potential help.

Try feeding him supplimental food only a couple times a week. You simply may be giving him too much food. Plus he is most likely active during the night when you don't notice. Two things my BNP's like is soften, de-shelled peas and softened zucchini cut into thin rounds and hung in a couple places on the glass with veggie clips. I've noticed my pleco's seem to prefer the soften veggies better than just sticking hard pieces in there. For zucchini I just cut my little thin slices and nuke them for a few seconds and feel to see if they are slightly soft (not so soft they are falling apart) and then hang them. For peas, just cook around 4 in a dixie cup with a little water for about 15 seconds, the pop the skins off, maybe smash them a little (not flat), and drop them in. By feeding these items only a couple times a week you may find he is more hungry and more likely to eat food items you put in.

My water quality is perfect. That is the first thing I checked. I will try out the peas and zucchini to see if he rakes to them.

Back
Top Bottom