Plecos and fruit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cactuspixie

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I finally tried feeding fruit. Last week I gave my BNPs fresh sliced strawberries and tonight I gave my gibbiceps banana.

The BNP went FERAL for the strawberries! I've never seen them so bratty! They ate every last morsel and their little bellies were well plumped out!
As for the Gibbi- I haven't seen him out with the lights up for months, but once he caught the scent of that banana, all his shyness vanished as he cruised around grabbing as many pieces as he could before the feather fins got them!

Don't be afraid to experiment!

That's cool! My bnp loves raspberries, bananas and apples. Tried corn on the cob and she wasn't impressed lol

Oh wow, strawberries, I have a huge common Pleco he loves cucumber and cooked broccoli, might have to let him loose on a strawberry tomorrow :)

Didn't know you could feed them strawberries or banana...or any berries .... gonna try some new foods for my bnp's tonight!!

Do you do anything special with the fruit? or just cut it and toss in a little bit?

I have Cory cats in my tank along with a BN Pleco. Would these foods be alright for cories as well?

I just wash them well and drop the fruit in, sometimes I use a vegi clip if the food floats.
Yep your cories will be fine, mine use to eat it as well, my kuhli love fresh fruit :)

Okay so I went and picked up my cichlids n pleco cucumber. Cut it up and placed it at the bottom of the tank. First time doing this, they dont seem interested

Okay so I went and picked up my cichlids n pleco cucumber. Cut it up and placed it at the bottom of the tank. First time doing this, they dont seem interested

Mine don't either until the lights go out...then there is nothing left in the morning!

I'm definitely going to try some fruits for them and my cories!

It may take time for them to realize that new and strange foods are edible. Veggies can be left in the tank 24 hours or so- fruit overnight. Over time you'll come to notice what their favourite foods are- they certainly have preferences. Once they become familiar with the routine, they don't hesitate to investigate!

How do you guys get that fruit to sink

The banana sank on its own, and I skewered the strawberry slices. I thread the slices onto a bamboo skewer, then fix it vertically to the glass with a vegie clip (or an airline suction cup)

Skewering is great because you can place it where you can watch them try it (creates great photo opportunities) and its easy to remove uneaten food.

My cichlids and pleco love cucumber. I already have it slided up and keep it in the freezer. Then I will take one or two and and microwave the slices, usually sinks when I do although not all the time. They also love lettuce to, which I thought was strange.

Well I tried the strawberry, and it's gone down a treat , I dropped a full strawb in with the metal screwcumber I got from eBay and he's just about finished it off :)

My bn pleco and rainbows love bananas and blueberries (skinned, of course). They didnt care for raspberries. I think I will try the strawberry this week and see what they think.
I think the funniest is when my ghost shrimp get ahold of the friut, they go running off with as big a chunk as they can carry, and later i see them full of whatever color fruit/veggie they took off with.

Hmm, I never thought to try fruit! I'll have to do that tomorrow!

Do you think watermelon would work? I've got a ton of leftover from a cookout this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom