Plecos and Loaches - Good or bad combo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaJoe

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all;

Quick question. I have two Dojo Loaches (weather loaches) in my 29gallon tank and a 'common' Pleco in my 20 gallon tank.

The idea is that some time soon I will be investing in a very large tank (100 gallons plus). At this point in time I want to merge both of my tanks together but am concerned about potential battles between the Pleco (Sean) and my Loaches -Fernando and Heraldo. If they were to tango, I'm sure Sean would kick their butts because of his venomous tail spikes. The loaches seem to have no defense mechanisms other then being able to burrow in to the gravel, which they do often as is. The reason I think they might cross paths is because both species are (typically) bottom dwellers, both like the same kinds of hiding spots and they both eat the same food!

Being said, I'll leave it to everyone to give me their opinions! I hope they can all just get along. I would love for them to meet some day :)

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Best,
Joe

I'm not sure about common plecos, but I have a bristlenose plec in with 4 yoyo loaches and some cories and everyone does their own thing. BNs aren't aggressive and don't get big (~5 in). I'm not sure how a big pleco would be....most likely they'd be fine. Give the loaches some hiding spots.

big plecos are only aggressive to other big plecos. i have 2 kuhlis (which are the same thing, but smaller and stuipder than dojos) and a larger pleco, and 2 farlowellas (twig plecos)

the plecos for the most part, suck on the wall, preferably where i have this big plant, so they feel covered, and the kuhlis just squirm around at the bottom

Back
Top Bottom