Pokadot loach???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jefe

Aquarium Advice Regular
Are poka dot loach community fishes and would it get along with the clown loach? Just got one that's why I ask any help would be good thanks!

I have polka dots in a community with clowns I don't have any problems, although I have read they are considered semi aggressive I just don't see it:)

they are shoaling(sp) fish, they do better in groups but its not limited to a certain species. you can keep polka dot loaches with clowns or almost any other loaches species.

the polka dot loach will max out somewhere between 4"-5". but the clown will max out around 12" these two species of loach should be kept in groups of at least 4 or 5.

how large is your tank?

They will be fine and will get along with other loaches. I have 2 clowns with a striata and angelicus and they all shoal together. And I really wouldn't consider them aggressive by any means, they may mistake an angelfishes feelers for worms but rarely, and they may use their barbels to sniff/tickle other fish but that's about it. What size tank do you have?

Got a 55 gallon and ok thanks don't know much about them

Yeah I don't understand why they are considered semi aggressive either. I have skunk loaches in a different tank that are supposed to be highly aggressive and they bother absolutely nobody. Idk

"Polka dot" loaches could be quite a few species, but is probably b. kubotai. They will probably get along fine with the clown loach (which will eventually get FAR larger).

On the topic of skunk loaches (y. morleti), they are VERY aggressive once they mature IME. Great loach for SA/CA cichlid tanks. ;)

Got a 55 gallon and ok thanks don't know much about them

Are you planning to upgrade in the future? I don't recommend clowns for a 55, but the smaller body loaches would do great in a 55. I have my 2 clowns in my 55 because they're still small and I upgrade far before they need it(next upgrade coming soon!).

Yea a 55 can only be used for a little while then you'll need to upgrade or rehome. I have a few clown loaches in my 125 but it wont last forever so I either need to rehome now or keep them a lil longer then rehome but I dont think 125g is lifetime suitable for clowns

Yea a 55 can only be used for a little while then you'll need to upgrade or rehome. I have a few clown loaches in my 125 but it wont last forever so I either need to rehome now or keep them a lil longer then rehome but I dont think 125g is lifetime suitable for clowns

Depends on the footprint, clowns need a long tank, but don't need an extremely tall tank. I would think a 6ft tank that's at least as tall as a 55 or 60 would suit them okay. I have seen some monster clowns though. How big are yours?

Compared to the ones on youtube they're tiny... my biggest one is about 3-4" smallest 2" maybe. I have five currently but I am thinkin about switching from clowns to angelic.

Tank is 72x18x18(roughly because of the fractions of inches but I rounded down to cut off the fractions)

Compared to the ones on youtube they're tiny... my biggest one is about 3-4" smallest 2" maybe. I have five currently but I am thinkin about switching from clowns to angelic.

Tank is 72x18x18(roughly because of the fractions of inches but I rounded down to cut off the fractions)

I think if you cut back from 5 to 3/4 it would be fine. Generally they only get to about 12" (haha "only"). My larger clown is about 4", smaller clown about 2", haha my angelicus and striata are bigger than my small clown

Back
Top Bottom