Pop eye medication?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptainMako

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all, I was curious about what kind of pop-eye meds I should get.

A few days ago, I noticed a few of my mollies were developing pop eye from bad water conditions. I also discovered that I have unknowingly been cycling my tank and the disease is a result of it.

Firstly, I want to know if there is any way for me to go about both treating the mollies AND cycling at the same time without any more health defects.

Second, I am looking for a pop eye medication to treat their current symptoms. They also have some fungal growth which I am treating with Pimafix, it works great. I know the key for treating pop eye is frequent water changes, but I can't do that if I want to cycle. I need meds to treat the condition without having to slow the cycling down.

So far I have been recommended: AmQuel, Maracyn and Maracyn 2.

Thanks community,
-Shaun

Well, pop eye is a secondary condition. It can be the result of trauma, viral infection, bacterial infection, fungal infection or stress... Etc. The best medicine/treatment is based on the cause of the popeye. Your cause is crappy poisonous toxic water. Therefore, the "medicine" to use is water. However, if you cycle the tank with fish and don't do the water changes (like we discussed with you yesterday) it won't matter anyway. They will likely die from ammonia poisoning. The cure for that is water changes too.

The reason I wanted to try medication anyway was if it came from a bacterial infection or something.
Is there any way I can have both? I was suggested 25% water changes 3-4 times a week, to both continue cycling AND allow the Pimafix to do its job.

I'd be doing more like 50% daily until the tank cycles and the popeye heals up. IME this will not slow down the cycling process in any appreciable way.

Back
Top Bottom