Possible 75 gallon stocking suggestions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

niks93gt

Aquarium Advice Activist
I went shopping today for my 55 gallon and there are 75 gallons that look to be in my price range. I'm considering doing a biotope... I've done some research for a south america river... my stocking thoughts look like:

2 Mated Pairs of angels (is 75 gallon big enough for 2 pairs?)
1 Black Ghost Knife
8 Peppered Corys
12-15 Bleeding Heart, Serpae or Glo-light Tetras (which is best and will keep at the top the most?)

The lighting I saw is flouriscent and probably considered mid level lighting. Will I need to dose co2? I don't want to... the tank is going to have lots of driftwood, some amazon swords and a few other plants (suggestions?)

Nik

niks93gt said:
I went shopping today for my 55 gallon and there are 75 gallons that look to be in my price range. I'm considering doing a biotope... I've done some research for a south america river... my stocking thoughts look like:

2 Mated Pairs of angels (is 75 gallon big enough for 2 pairs?)
my vote is a 75 MAY be too small for two pairs of angels, depending on ther personality of the fish you get...i would not dare put a second pair in my 75
1 Black Ghost Knife
8 Peppered Corys
12-15 Bleeding Heart, Serpae or Glo-light Tetras (which is best and will keep at the top the most?)

The lighting I saw is flouriscent and probably considered mid level lighting.
what is the total wattage of the lighting, between 1-2 watts of light per gallon of water should be fine for the plants and you will not need CO2
Will I need to dose co2? I don't want to... the tank is going to have lots of driftwood, some amazon swords and a few other plants (suggestions?)

Nik

IMO you are fine with your plan. In fact I think angels and serpaes are a great mix. If you start with 6 young angels you shouldn't have any territorial probs as they will be used to each each other and 75 gallons is fine.

It is doubtful that stock lighting will be anywhere near the 2 wpg range. If your total wpg is just above 1, you should be OK. It may take the amazon sword a few months (if ever), to settle in as it requires a bit more light, but no harm no foul. Good luck.

I keep reading Serpae Tetras might be too nippy for angels... are there any top dwelling tetras? How hard are hatchetfish to find? Would they do will in this tank?

Nik

They are kind of nippy. I used to have a few of those, and they were always chasing the other fish. But if you had a bigger school then they would probably keep their aggressiveness to themselves. It might not be the best combination, but it could work.

Back
Top Bottom