Post your cycling times please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caliban07

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi people.

Whilst doing some research on nitrifying bacteria a while ago now I came across this link

Nitrospira-Like Bacteria Associated with Nitrite Oxidation in Freshwater Aquaria

Within this article are some interesting culturing times for nitrifying bacteria.

I have used these times to gauge many a fishless cycle on this forum and while some claim cycles take much longer I have noticed that in the main the cycle times in this article closely reflect those being carried out on here.

Remember that the bacterias in this link have been cultured under laboratory conditions and have been given optimal conditions in which to reproduce.

I believe that these conditions are not too far off (not limited) in our aquariums but because they are not lab cultured I have been using small tolerances of +- a few days.

In the main a maximum time of 38 days seems to be consistent with nitrites recorded on day 12 and peaking around day 22 and falling beyond (lab grade) detection around day 29 with nitrates being registered from day 15 onward. These results are classed as 'as expected' by the author.

Please could I ask that all those who have recently cycled an aquarium without fish or seeded media record their completion times below. Also hopefully those that carry out fishless cycles in the future will see this thread and update the measurements accordingly.

I believe that by documenting our cycle times we can compare our results and hopefully help prepare new staters for a more realistic waiting period which will hopefully help them through the frustrating nitrite phase of the cycle.

Thanks

Cal.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I finished at 40 days. There was a hiccup near the end that took a couple of days to fix, or I would have likely been 37-38 as well.

Hi people.

Whilst doing some research on nitrifying bacteria a while ago now I came across this link

Nitrospira-Like Bacteria Associated with Nitrite Oxidation in Freshwater Aquaria

Within this article are some interesting culturing times for nitrifying bacteria.

I have used these times to gauge many a fishless cycle on this forum and while some claim cycles take much longer I have noticed that in the main the cycle times in this article closely reflect those being carried out on here.

Remember that the bacterias in this link have been cultured under laboratory conditions and have been given optimal conditions in which to reproduce.

I believe that these conditions are not too far off (not limited) in our aquariums but because they are not lab cultured I have been using small tolerances of +- a few days.

In the main a maximum time of 38 days seems to be consistent with nitrites recorded on day 12 and peaking around day 22 and falling beyond (lab grade) detection around day 29 with nitrates being registered from day 15 onward. These results are classed as 'as expected' by the author.

Please could I ask that all those who have recently cycled an aquarium without fish or seeded media record their completion times below. Also hopefully those that carry out fishless cycles in the future will see this thread and update the measurements accordingly.

I believe that by documenting our cycle times we can compare our results and hopefully help prepare new staters for a more realistic waiting period which will hopefully help them through the frustrating nitrite phase of the cycle.

Thanks

Cal.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom