Power Outage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZCNY

Aquarium Advice Activist
As it is getting hotter here in NY they are expecting power outages I wanted to know how long I can go without power before I got to start worrying about my fish in my 72g ??

If you can do small water changes everyday and not give it time to build up the bad stuff then youll be fine. Everyones tank is different so its hard to say how long. Just keep an eye on it

I have learned that if you don't have a battery powered air bubbler than buy one and a whole bunch of batterys. If not then add a cap of peroxide in the tank. Somehow it works and believe me I have done this and it does definitely work

I second the battery powered air pump solution, as well as the frozen water bottles. Larger tanks, because of their big volume, are more resistant to changes in temperature, and, depending on how heavily stocked you are, to changes in water parameters.

It may also be a good time to invest in a UPS to power your filter (depending on what you've got). on my 56 gallon w/ 2 Penguin 200 HOBs, I can run the HOBs for hours on a UPS.

In the worst case I got a small generator just don't want to drag it out every other hour, wanted to make sure that 2-4 hours won't harm it

I've gone 8+ on my 56 gallon tank with no issues, using a UPS for one HOB and the air pump. I control temp via bottles of hot or cold water, but it hasn't been an issue, as my room ambient temp is about what I keep my tank at.

Depends on what fish you have. Whats your stock?

8 Platys, 4 Albino Corys, 6 Neons, 5 Zebra Danios(had 6 but had a suicide yesterday), 4 kuli Loaches, 2 Bristlenose Placo, 4 ottos, 3 Amano Shrimp ( most fish are all juvenile)

72g Bowfront with a 406 Fluval and 205 Fluval, Life Plants, Pool Sand

Attachments

• 20130710_191519.jpg
    20130710_191519.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 70
I have learned that if you don't have a battery powered air bubbler than buy one and a whole bunch of batterys. If not then add a cap of peroxide in the tank. Somehow it works and believe me I have done this and it does definitely work
+1 i like the Battery Powered air Bubbler, and the frozen water idea is good too i got a freezer chest i will put 2 litter bottles in there of water

8 Platys, 4 Albino Corys, 6 Neons, 5 Zebra Danios(had 6 but had a suicide yesterday), 4 kuli Loaches, 2 Bristlenose Placo, 4 ottos, 3 Amano Shrimp ( most fish are all juvenile)

72g Bowfront with a 406 Fluval and 205 Fluval, Life Plants, Pool Sand

Okay thats a basic community tank. The bubblers, extra battery's because they dont last long and frozen water will work. Your tank is big and temperature shouldnt change much

Okay thats a basic community tank. The bubblers, extra battery's because they dont last long and frozen water will work. Your tank is big and temperature shouldnt change much

I am still pretty new with aquariums and every book i was reading said a bubbler with air stone is optional that you really dont need it, should i get one for my tank??

I am still pretty new with aquariums and every book i was reading said a bubbler with air stone is optional that you really dont need it, should i get one for my tank??

No you don't need it. The reason it's being stressed for the power outage is because if the filter can't run then there is no surface agitation which in turn increases CO2 levels in the tank. The air stone will provide oxygen for the time being but if you have a HOB filter or a canister that has an output high enough to disturb the surface them an airstone is not necessary. Doesn't hurt, but not necessary.

No you don't need it. The reason it's being stressed for the power outage is because if the filter can't run then there is no surface agitation which in turn increases CO2 levels in the tank. The air stone will provide oxygen for the time being but if you have a HOB filter or a canister that has an output high enough to disturb the surface them an airstone is not necessary. Doesn't hurt, but not necessary.

Surface agitation increases the o2 (oxgen) not co2 (carbon dioxide). The bubblers increase oxygen levels if you have a need for it. It doesnt hurt to have one but its not mandatory

Guys.... What about when fish are shipped? There's no heat, no bubbler... I honestly think that people over react to power outages. Unless there is a long one (over a day or two) I wouldn't be super worried. A bubbler wouldn't hurt, but generally, the fish won't keel over and die because the power was out for 3 hours.

Some are shipped with heat/chill packs. And it's only one fish in an appropriately sized bag. Not a potentially overstocked (or highly stocked) aquarium with lots of fish pooping all day long.

Surface agitation increases the o2 (oxgen) not co2 (carbon dioxide). The bubblers increase oxygen levels if you have a need for it. It doesnt hurt to have one but its not mandatory

Correct, my post indicated that a lack of surface agitation will lead to more Co2 than O2 in the tank.

yeah both filters I put the nozzle in the tank about an inch to two under the water line so there is no water movement on top but none of my fish are gasping for air so I guess it still does a decent job

Back
Top Bottom