Powerhead Flow Rate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reeb666

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am putting my Golden (Chinese) Algae Eater and my Zebra Danios in a 30 gal (36x12x16?) and since both CAEs and Danios like some water movement, I am going to add a power head and undergravel filtration. I am entirely unsure what gph the powerhead should have. Does anyone know?

I was under the impression that when attached to a power head that they sucked the debris back into the tank so the filter could pick it up, rather than letting it sit under the gravel til vacuumed out? It would obviously not be the only filtration, I'd have two Aqueon Quietflows running as well

I haven't used UGF's since the late 80's. They do collect detris and often do clog. If you have plants you can't use an UGF. It is much more effective IMO to just gravel vac your substrate. I actually have planted tanks and never vacuum my gravel. Anyway it's your tank and you need to set it up as you see fit but with over 30 years of expierence in this hobby personally I would rethink using an UGF.

Back
Top Bottom