preditory style Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gohabs9

Aquarium Advice Regular
i want to begin setting up a preditor style tank.....around 75g....
i want mean, monster type fish
thinking of oscars, bichir, really want an arowana but too much cash and tank, but open to any suggestions, want variety in the tank

I think you will find a 75 gallon limited space wise for "monster" fish if by monster you mean "huge & mean."

I'd probably go with a 180 gallon for a "monster" fish tank... something like the Cichlasoma Managuense. They get pretty large and can be mean lol

unfortuantly i am limited to about 75, if i could go 180 i would definatly get an arowana, so something that can live in a 75 size tank, by monster i mean something mean that likes to eat feeders and live food, it doesnt have to be huge, just aggressive type

well u could do a highly populated chiclid tank, they arent super agressive but they do chase each other sometimes and are cool looking fish

also wnated oddball fish, like knifefish and elephant fish, so either an oddball tank or pred. tank or both any suggestions

North American Natives. Dirt cheap, easy to get, and very aggressive (if you can find a green sunfish, they are the *meanest*). Throw 2 or 3 bluegill in there, a dozen or so female guppies and a few male guppies, and plenty of plants.

Red devil cichlids can be extremely aggressive. My brother had one that he got as a juvi and within a short time it became king of the tank. By the time it was mature it was the only fish in the tank because it killed any and everything else he ever tried to house with it. So be careful 'cause within a few years you may have a 75 gallon with just one big mean bad fish! My brother loved his red devil though!!

breeding pair of green terrors
Watch them kill everything when spawning time comes.
magic looking fish to.

Matt.

You could always go with Piranhas. They're pretty mean when it comes to feeding. I absolutely love Piranhas and recommend them to anyone wanting a predatory type fish.

Friendly said:
You could always go with Piranhas. They're pretty mean when it comes to feeding. I absolutely love Piranhas and recommend them to anyone wanting a predatory type fish.

Depends on where you live. Ilegal here......

They are both in canada. They even allow snakeheads in canada i think... so more than likely piranhas are legal lol I know Piranhas are legal in here in Kansas, because now all the sudden I see them in every single LFS i go into... but not walmart or petsmart yet ;) Just wait :roll: :roll: :roll:

do not put anything larger than 2 oscars in a 75, and only if you have the tank really over-filtrated.

i've got a 300 with a super red arrowana, 1 silver arrowana, jardini, 1 red dragon flowerhorn, clown knife, 1 jaguar, 2 turquoise severums and 3 oscars. my tank flows about 4500gph.

everyone gets along fine, but i couldn't imagine having them in anything smaller.

you could probably fit a

serrasalmus sanchezi
serrasalmus irritans
serrasalmus elongatus(maybe)

or go for a exodon shoal(there crazy during feeding times and cant really keep anything with them except other exox)

Someone released 2 piranah's into a lake here in brampton. Still not illegal though. But they survived over a year, apparently. They were 8 inches in size. Locals think it just got too big for a persons tank, store wouldn't take it back, so they released it in the wild.

Good thing they were both males. It was on the paper last year.

sudz said:
Someone released 2 piranah's into a lake here in brampton. Still not illegal though. But they survived over a year, apparently. They were 8 inches in size. Locals think it just got too big for a persons tank, store wouldn't take it back, so they released it in the wild.

Good thing they were both males. It was on the paper last year.

I remember when that happened. It's too bad the owner didn't have a bigger tank. I highly doubt the Piranhas would have survived the winter though. I'm sure that's why they're not illegal in Canada due to the cold water.

My lfs seems to always have them in stock. I get them when they're babies because they're way cheaper then adults. Adults usually cost $50-$60.

one of my friends in seattle has some piranhas, i did not know they were illegal here i will have to inquire where he got them, im not sure how aggressive they are but one of the meanest looking fish i have ever seen around here is a fire eel, a lfs has one that is maybe a little over a foot in length and it creeps me out

mrcrazypants05 said:
They are both in canada. They even allow snakeheads in canada i think...

A note: the overwhelming majority of Channids - in my view, one of the most beautiful and intriguing classes of fish available in the aquarium hobby - are incapable of posing a long-term threat to temperate ecosystems.

Back
Top Bottom