Preparing sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankMan

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay so I am about to go pick up my 55g from the store. I am going to use PFS as a substrate and leave my gravel substrate forever. I do need to k ow however how to clean it before adding it to the tank. Please help me. How did you guys clean your sand? Thanks. :)

I don't have sand but I'm pretty sure you just gravel vacuum it like gravel. It is actually easier to clean than gravel.

Clean as in like when theres already fish and such, or like to be able to put it in the tank.

Oh gosh -.- I sure had an experience. I sat in my bathtub for HOURS trying to clean my sand. I got regular play ground sand and was going to use it in my five gallon. First: I used a t shirt, thinking that would be easy to do, just set the sand on top and let the water run through, thus cleaning the Sand. Nope, didn't work

Then I put it in a bucket and swished it around for ever, letting the water overflow out and then dumping it sometimes. That's a lot of water.
Eventually, I ended up using the Betta cups and just getting a TINY bit and cleaning it that way.

It took too long even for the five gal so I eventually just dumped the sand in and continuously swished it around and had the water overflowing.

It looked like it worked but eventually it was dusty looking again, and my betta didn't like that so I eventually went back to gravel :/

Here's a guide that will help. I just changed over to sand too (not PFS, used CaribSea) and spent the longest time with a bucket and my tub trying to rinse it clean. After putting it in the tank it was still cloudy until the next day. It looks great now though!

In my new 75 gallon tank, I actually dumped 2 bags of PFS straight into my tank, filled the tank with water and let the HOB filter clean the water. After a period of a couple of days, the water was crystal clear .. and fish are doing fine after adding them a few weeks later.

JcSparky said:
In my new 75 gallon tank, I actually dumped 2 bags of PFS straight into my tank, filled the tank with water and let the HOB filter clean the water. After a period of a couple of days, the water was crystal clear .. and fish are doing fine after adding them a few weeks later.

2 bags seems a lot, how deep is your sandbed?

When I started my tank I first washed the sand the usual way with gallons and gallons of water. After that I placed it in the tank and filled it with water. Then I took the sponge out of my canister filter and replaced it with lots of paper towel. Ran the filter for about 2 hours and replaced the sponge. Water was nowhere sparkling but it helped a lot. Next day all was clear.

Back
Top Bottom