Pretty Blue and Black Striped Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Purrbox

Aquarium Advice Addict
I saw this lovely blue and black striped fish in a pic of Ammania sp Bonsai posted by Travis in this thread. Just curious what it is. Thanks!

LOL :) It is a Pseudotropheus demasoni fry. Ps. demasoni are dwarf (meaining sub 3-4") African cichlids, but are some of the meanest, most territorial fish you will ever see. Even in my 125G I can only keep one or two males of the species because they will relentlessly and I do mean relentlessly hunt down and kill any other males of their species that they feel may try to breed with their harem of females. They are possibly the most aggressive fish I have ever kept, pirhanas notwithstanding. Mean little b(*stards :)

A few gratuitous pics:

A female Ps. demasoni and a juvenlie in a rare shot when they're not at each other's throats:

Demasoni_270105_x800.jpg

And two holding Ps. demasoni mothers who are fighting over whose fry is lost in the grass:

Ps_demasoni_03_Stamp.jpg

And my alpha male Ps. demasoni, "Porkchop" (only about 2.5" long but respected by all but the biggest fish in the tank):

Porkchop_180605_x800.jpg

Lilaeopsis brasiliensis. Since gone by the wayside. Beautiful when it's healthy but a nightmare to keep algae-free. Have you noticed you don't ever see lawns like that in competition tanks? There's a good reason for it, which I found out the hard way. Maybe someday I will get it figured out, but right now, I'm just happy with some Elatine or Glosso. AZGardens.com sells the stuff by the square foot if you're up for the challenge :)

Nice set up and pics Travis!

Yeah, demasoni can be brutal to their own kind when in low numbers, but they seem to do better in bigger groups (which spreads out the aggression).

I've got about two dozen demasoni in one of my tanks. A perpetually active tank but no serious aggression problems.

kay-bee19 said:
they seem to do better in bigger groups (which spreads out the aggression).

I've got about two dozen demasoni in one of my tanks. A perpetually active tank but no serious aggression problems.

Exactly. I've got two large males who fight all the time. Totally skinned up snouts. There are about five or six adult females and (and I'm just guessing here) about 10-20 juveniles that are just running for their lives most of the time. Having plants in the tank increases the survivability of the fry enormously. I'm taking about a half-dozen to my LFS every month just to keep the tank viable :p

Thanks Travis! I think that's the first Cichlid I've seen that I actually liked the look of. Too bad they're so mean, or I might actually have been tempted to give them a try. Guess I'll just have to enjoy them in pics of other people's tanks. :lol:

That fish makes me seriously consider a cichlid tank since I'm in the process of revamping mine. Awsome fish!

i agree that the demasoni is one of the best africans out there. i bought one to go in my new 55 gallon tank and he is amazing. i find that they are only agressive ot there own kind. i have labs, msobo deep cobalts and peacocks in my tank and 1 demasoni and he doesnt bother them at all. UNLESS... they go into his territory. he has dug a small hole under a little cave i have in the far right of the tank and unless the fish goes in there he just swims around happily. i will put a few pics of mine. what i really like about them is that all of them have the same amazing colour as where alot of cichlids can vary greatly in colour from 1 to the other. the only problem with them besides the agression is that they are impossible to sex. well... not impossible but the only way to do it is by venting which most fish stores will not do. maybe travis can tell wether mine is a male or a female by my pics? lol probably not but worth asking.

Back
Top Bottom