Problem with odessa barbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leighgonch

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've recently bought 4 Odessa barbs from my LFS and they don't seem to be schooling they just seem to chase each other around nipping at one another does any one have any suggestions why and know how to stop this?

All my water parameters are fine
And none of the other tank mates are being bothered by them or bothering them

I just got some Odessa Barbs last night and had done some research before I got them. I found that them nipping and chasing each other is fairly normal for barbs. Odessa Barbs are supposed to be more peaceful than some of the others, but that changes depending on who you ask. From the experience I've had with mine, just from last night and today, they do seem to fight with each other but leave my other fish alone. And they don't seem to do much damage to one another when they do spar, typically stopping after a minute or two.

Hope this helps!

Absolutely normal, though you should up the number to 7 and over so the aggression is more evenly spaced out.

Yeah, it's just them working out their hierarchy amongst themselves. The more the merrier so the nipping is spread out like Borderlesscott said. Do you have room for a few more?

Back
Top Bottom