Problems everywhere!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok so how much if I'm not supposed to do a water change until the next day?

At 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons, so if your doing a 50% everyday, mix in that 50% of what you would need. I forgot your tank size.... You only add salt at the recommended dosage for the water your replacing :)..

I'm sorry your not having luck yet. Your doing what you can from what I can tell

Ok I get that. He had told me to change water every other day. Not every day. So that's why I was wondering about that.

Ok.... Lemme know of this makes sense. 1 tablespoon of salt per 5 gallons of water everyday. Every second day do a 50% water change and ONLY add salt for the amount taken out. So your taking half out so add half the amount of salt.

What size tank is it again?

Ok. Gotcha! Salt everyday. Change water every other day and only add what i take out.

Ok thanks! I have aquarium salt right now but now that I know it's safe to use that I think I will
Do that so it's cheaper. Will update tomorrow! I feel so bad though because this disease just makes them have a slow death. I just want to put them out of their misery!

Ok thanks! I have aquarium salt right now but now that I know it's safe to use that I think I will
Do that so it's cheaper. Will update tomorrow! I feel so bad though because this disease just makes them have a slow death. I just want to put them out of their misery!

You'll get through it!!

yes, certain Kosher salt works. just look at the ingredient list and pick out the ones without additives. You should pick out the ones that says NaCl only!!!

Ok thanks! That sounds great. Also, I just thought of this although I'm not sure it has anything to do with it. If this is fungus, which we all think it is. Is it contagious? My two have it but my neon is still doing perfect. Not a spot on it. Usually ich gets the whole tank. So I'm just wondering if this fungus transfers differently? When the yellow one first started showing signs, one spot, my orange one was all Over it. Rubbing against it. Nudging it. Nipping at its tail, and the next day is when I posted saying it was covered. My neon never associates With them. Could that be the explanation? My orange one never touched my yellow one until it started showing those signs. Might just be a coincidence? Just thougt of it and thought it might have something to do with it.

Ok thanks! That sounds great. Also, I just thought of this although I'm not sure it has anything to do with it. If this is fungus, which we all think it is. Is it contagious? My two have it but my neon is still doing perfect. Not a spot on it. Usually ich gets the whole tank. So I'm just wondering if this fungus transfers differently? When the yellow one first started showing signs, one spot, my orange one was all Over it. Rubbing against it. Nudging it. Nipping at its tail, and the next day is when I posted saying it was covered. My neon never associates With them. Could that be the explanation? My orange one never touched my yellow one until it started showing those signs. Might just be a coincidence? Just thougt of it and thought it might have something to do with it.

that's actually not quite true. i've not dealt with fungus before, therefore i'm not the expert in that disease. but the saying that "ich gets the whole tank" isn't quite accurate. Ich and other diseases, including fungus, are opportunists, they invade the fish when the fish exhibit weak immune system due to stress, dirty environment, and etc. Fish wish scales generally fare better than non-scale fish because of the extra protection. But when the fish is weak, ANYTHING can wreck havoc in their physical well-being. I've had scaled fish with ich, and yet my scaleless loach didn't have any sign of disease. Therefore, prevention is your best defense against everything, especially fish tank is not an open system, meaning that it's not completely natural. some of the natural disease-combating agents are missing from the fish tank, therefore a lot of fish don't survive when first caught.

Ok thanks! Maybe my neon is just more healthy since my others had fought a disease already. I'm sure the salt is helping ward it off too.

Hope it's not just me being hopeful and excited, but it seems like my orange one is much better. There are only one or two visible splotches on the one side. It's other side is still pretty covered, the fin as well. But there are no more fuzzy spots! All the hanging ones are gone! What a relief. Y yellow one still has a straight perfect line of white spots, but it looks like a few of the stragglers on the tail have disappeared. They are still pooping white, BUT it is much better looking than yesterday.

Hope it's not just me being hopeful and excited, but it seems like my orange one is much better. There are only one or two visible splotches on the one side. It's other side is still pretty covered, the fin as well. But there are no more fuzzy spots! All the hanging ones are gone! What a relief. Y yellow one still has a straight perfect line of white spots, but it looks like a few of the stragglers on the tail have disappeared. They are still pooping white, BUT it is much better looking than yesterday.

Just keep at it!! We're all pulling for ya and your fishy friends :)

Thanks. I'm doing water change and salt right now. I do have anrher question. When I had a bottom feeder. Poop Eater or whatever. I had to buy special foo for him in case he didn't have enough from my other fish wastes. I had only got a few fish. They are shrimp pellets. I have seen on other people's posts that mixing up the diet is good and also helps with recovery? I was wondering if this was safe for my fish I have now. When the bottom feeder was still alive I noticed that my orange and yellow one would nibble at it and honestly Try to eat it all before he got to it. The pet store said absolutely not for the other fish to eat it. That has only happened once. Just wondering y'all's thoughts on that. Good thing or bad.

Thanks. I'm doing water change and salt right now. I do have anrher question. When I had a bottom feeder. Poop Eater or whatever. I had to buy special foo for him in case he didn't have enough from my other fish wastes. I had only got a few fish. They are shrimp pellets. I have seen on other people's posts that mixing up the diet is good and also helps with recovery? I was wondering if this was safe for my fish I have now. When the bottom feeder was still alive I noticed that my orange and yellow one would nibble at it and honestly Try to eat it all before he got to it. The pet store said absolutely not for the other fish to eat it. That has only happened once. Just wondering y'all's thoughts on that. Good thing or bad.

Well... My crew eats anything I put in the tank so I wouldn't stress it. Try this. About an hour or two after lights out. Throw a few algae wafers or whatever in the tank. Trust me they get some. You may not think so but they do.

No my orange and yellow fish. I don't have a bottom feeder anymore so I haven't been using he shrimp pellets. Only the fish flakes. He pet store said when I had the bottom feeder that it was bad for the other fish. Now I have no bottom feeder I just didn't know if it would help those two and the pet store was wrong.

No my orange and yellow fish. I don't have a bottom feeder anymore so I haven't been using he shrimp pellets. Only the fish flakes. He pet store said when I had the bottom feeder that it was bad for the other fish. Now I have no bottom feeder I just didn't know if it would help those two and the pet store was wrong.

It's not gonna harm your other fish. Food for bottom feeders are safe for other fish. If they sell it for a community tank then its obvious that there's always a chance that some fish may grab it. I'd say your fine.

Back
Top Bottom