Problems with a Tiger Barb.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

julia001

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
I just started a 10 gallon tank a few weeks ago and have slowly been adding fish. The first two fish were rosy barbs from a local pet store and they get along great. Two days ago I added an upside-down catfish and a tiger barb. No one at the pet store told me that the tiger barb might be aggressive towards the rosy barbs when I purchased it. Today the tiger barb has been occasionally chasing one of the rosy barbs around the tank, especially when the light is on. Any ideas what I should do?

Hello,
I just started a 10 gallon tank a few weeks ago and have slowly been adding fish. The first two fish were rosy barbs from a local pet store and they get along great. Two days ago I added an upside-down catfish and a tiger barb. No one at the pet store told me that the tiger barb might be aggressive towards the rosy barbs when I purchased it. Today the tiger barb has been occasionally chasing one of the rosy barbs around the tank, especially when the light is on. Any ideas what I should do?

Tiger barbs are schooling fish and should be kept in a group of at least 5, this would probably cut down on the aggression. 10 gallons is too small for them. 20 gallons would be better for tiger barbs.

So should I just return the tiger barb to the store? I think half the problem is that not all the people at the pet store are knowledgeable about the fish but it is the only option I have other than a chain store like Petco at the moment.

So should I just return the tiger barb to the store? I think half the problem is that not all the people at the pet store are knowledgeable about the fish but it is the only option I have other than a chain store like Petco at the moment.

I'd return the tiger barb if you can. I dont know too much about the Rosy's but maybe trade him for another 1 or 2 of those?

Rosy barbs and upside-down cats can get up to 4in. The Rosy barbs should be in groups of 5+ and upside -own catfish should be in groups of 3+. You'll need to get rid of those too I'm afraid also unless you get a bigger tank. Maybe the catfish will be ok idk.

The tags that chain stores have that say how big fish get and the required tank size are often way off so you can't always go by that. As you stated pet store employees don't always know what they are talking about either. I would recommend before buying fish in the future to search for information on the web. You can cross-reference the information you find as well as getting help from the wonderful people on AA.

I also often play around on aqadvisor.com You shouldn't use that as though everything it says is 100% right though... but I think for someone starting out it can get you on the right path at least. Others will probably frown upon using that site, but I think using it to get an idea of what you want to do then checking with others is productive.

Back
Top Bottom