Proper Goldfish Diet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigmacd86

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all,

I have a 10gal tank with two 2" goldfish and am thinking about adding 2-3 more of the same kind. From what I have been reading in the forums, it is very important not to overfeed to keep leftover food in the tank to a minimum.

I've been feeding the two fish Goldfish Crumbles, which instructs to feed several times for enough food to be consumed within 5 minutes. This seems an awful lot of food to me!

Also, what is a good and healthy diet for fish? Should I feed Goldfish Crumbles at some time in the morning and something else at a different time or should I only feed once a day?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :D

Feeding

The best type of food is normally a flake food specialzed for goldfish. No matter what the instructions on the container say, 2-3 times a day is waaay to much. I feed my fish once a day, and i know some that feed their fish every other day. Too much food causes the nitrate levels to grow too high and the tank dirtier, then you spend more money going out and buying more of the companys product that told you to feed your fish 2-3 times a day. I suggest feeding floating goldfish flakes once a day.

Yep, I know exactly what you mean. I'm an engineer and it's interesting to see oil imanufacturers do a similar process with motor oil. There were times when you did not "need" to change your oil every 3k miles. As an engineer and by experience, I know better. :D

Back
Top Bottom