Pros or cons of painting a back round?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No actually with cash. I'm underage so I had to get a parent to buy it with my money.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I painted mine yesterday and have mixed feelings. It is easier to see the fish, but it's a lot darker and feels smaller. I'll live with it for awhile, but might scrape it off and try the window tint film instead.

I will never go back to unpainted backgrounds. My only tank that doesn't have a painted background is my rimless 3g cube. The corner are curved so theres no easy way to make it look nice when viewed from the sides (which it can be). Makes fish/plants/coral really pop and makes everything look clean, especially when you have black equipment.

To avoid having to scrape off the paint if you decide you want to change it, I just attach black construction paper to the back of the tank. Looks just as good as the paint, and if I ever decided that I didn't want it any more, all I have to do is peel off the tape holding it up.

It's not really the same. Paper fades and gets wet.

I've never used it before but I hope it does the job.

True but I don't have a long strip of it. I would have to take a bunch of regular sheets and tape them together.

I used flat black laytex paint to do the back and one side. It took three coats, but it looks great. In theory it should scrape/peel off somewhat easily if I change my mind. My heater and filter pipes are a flat black as well, so they blend in pretty nicely.

The next time I tear down and redo my other tanks I'll be painting them as well. I think I spent a total of around $5 US on the paint and roller. The paper backgrounds are actually more expensive and, IMO, dont look as nice.

True but I don't have a long strip of it. I would have to take a bunch of regular sheets and tape them together.

Is that really so hard to do? And you can get a pack of 50 sheets from Walmart for $2. So don't tell me that it is easier or cheaper to paint it.

I've never had issues with the paper fading or getting wet. And if it did, I'd spend 1 minute replacing the sheet with another one.

So whatever dude, I was just trying to help you out.

I used a black blotter pad (similar to poster board but heavier/thicker) on one tank and a black plastic trash bag on the other. I don't scrape the algae on the back wall (food for inverts) but the dark background adds depth and you don't see what going on behind the scenes.
I would like to eventually paint them. Any good suggestions for roll-on paint?
Too bad about the HD cc breach. Like Target all over again.

Is that really so hard to do? And you can get a pack of 50 sheets from Walmart for $2. So don't tell me that it is easier or cheaper to paint it.

I've never had issues with the paper fading or getting wet. And if it did, I'd spend 1 minute replacing the sheet with another one.

So whatever dude, I was just trying to help you out.

I didn't mean to be mean. I was just saying you could get paint for like $3. While paper won't look as good with the lines from taping a lot of sheets together. Also your running the risk of getting them wet. Paper might be okay for a smaller tank but I need one for a 55g.

I can't wait to see what the plastidip looks like! I like the effect of painted on backgrounds versus paper backgrounds. I think it mostly depends on the look that the individual is going for.. Or not going for. . and construction paper is NOT ideal for larger tanks. If I had to take time to replace it on my 55 gal, I'd curse at myself for not painting it on to begin with. Paint is hassle free once completed. To each his own. :)

I decided to try a black background, so I bought black wrapping paper and used it instead of painting the tank. I have to say, I love it!

I didn't mean to be mean. I was just saying you could get paint for like $3. While paper won't look as good with the lines from taping a lot of sheets together. Also your running the risk of getting them wet. Paper might be okay for a smaller tank but I need one for a 55g.

Youre fine. I would agree with you and prefer using plastidip over a paper or vinyl application.

I can't wait to see what the plastidip looks like! I like the effect of painted on backgrounds versus paper backgrounds. I think it mostly depends on the look that the individual is going for.. Or not going for. . and construction paper is NOT ideal for larger tanks. If I had to take time to replace it on my 55 gal, I'd curse at myself for not painting it on to begin with. Paint is hassle free once completed. To each his own. :)

Have you ever used plastidip? Itll look great from the front...and on the back, where applied, a semi-textured, matte black finish...thats completely removable within 2 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom