Puffer for a newbie?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dragonchild85

Aquarium Advice Regular
Greetings.

I was orginally going to get a dwarf freshwater puffer, but saw some greenspotted and figure 8 puffers at the lfs today. I have an empty 5 gallon, and DON'T want saltwater fish. I've never done brackish water.

Should I stick with the dwarf, or try the others? What advice can everyone give? I've never had a puffer, and all the information I'm finding seems to contradict each other.

TIA!

You could keep one, possibly two dwarf freshwater puffers in that 5 Gallon tank. Depending on how big those other puffers get it may not be big enough.

Here's a great source of info on the dwarf puffers.

i'd stick with the freshwater, because brackish, like salt, you have to watch the salt levels (sg) and in a 5 gallon, it can change fast, which is bad on the fish. Dwarf puffers are also very easy too.

Greenspotted puffers require highend BW/marine conditions and 30 gallons/fish. Figure-8 puffers do best in low-end BW and need 15 gallons/fish.

oh ya, sorry, i forgot that you put it was only five gallons...they would deffinately need bigger tank.

Back
Top Bottom