Purifying Shells and Cyciling Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishLover14

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I went to the beach for a vacation recently and picked up some goregous shells, is their anything i can do to puryfy them to get them freshwater safe?

If i take a cycled filter off a 10, and put it on a 29 when i get it will it cycle like in an hour. Do i nned to add fish immmedeately or wait a few days.

TIA

Dan :)

I bought some on a vacation once (I'll never do that again). I boiled them for an hour & still couldn't get the stench out. I eventyally just let them dry out & couldn't use them in my tank. The reason I'll never do that again, is if you bought them, you can be guaranteed that somene took thm out of the ocean while they were still alive...

For shell dwelling cichlids, I go to the LFS and ask for dead snails. I boil the shells at home and add them to the tank.

As far as your 2nd Q, if you stock the larger tank with about 1/2 as many fish as in the 10g, you can (& should) add fish right away. If you move the gravel & decor, you can stock the same amount of fish, or move the fish fron the 10-29g.

Back
Top Bottom