pushing tank limits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

remy the cook

Aquarium Advice Activist
In my 29 gallon I'm going to have

8 Blood Fin Tetra's
7 Glow Light Tetra's
5 Cherry Barbs

total and I was thinking of adding 5 Gold Barbs to top the tank off for fish, How crazy am I for doing this? If I cant put the Gold Barbs in the tank what fish can I put in the tank to max it off?

anyone else think the same thing I would love to know every ones thoughts

Why do you want to max it out? Not saying this is not going to work. But it seems hasty and irresponsible. Don't forget that like other animals, we should keep the welfare of the fish in mind as well.

I think, if you really want to crowed you're tank, at least do it over time so the tank will not fall back in a cycle from a larger bio load...

It's something we all do at some point. I wouldn't worry too much unless you think the habitat you are giving the fish is <= the home they have at the LFS. If it's greater or better than what they have at the store, you wouldn't be wrong to give any fish a better home. The bigger the fish are, the fewer you can have in a tank. A 1 inch fish should have 1 gallon of water where a 6 inch fish might need 10 gallons. Then there's the fish that needs all 29 gallons.

I you do go with a few more fish, you should start thinking about getting a bigger tank or a 2nd tank. If it were me, I would be thinking about upgrading to the largest tank I can afford. But that's me, I'm not into species tanks, so 1 large community is good for me.

Wroberson said:
It's something we all do at some point. I wouldn't worry too much unless you think the habitat you are giving the fish is <= the home they have at the LFS. If it's greater or better than what they have at the store, you wouldn't be wrong to give any fish a better home. The bigger the fish are, the fewer you can have in a tank. A 1 inch fish should have 1 gallon of water where a 6 inch fish might need 10 gallons. Then there's the fish that needs all 29 gallons.

I you do go with a few more fish, you should start thinking about getting a bigger tank or a 2nd tank. If it were me, I would be thinking about upgrading to the largest tank I can afford. But that's me, I'm not into species tanks, so 1 large community is good for me.

This is wrong. I see oscars in 10g of water at the LFS, you're saying that it would be okay for me to have one in 15 gallons? I also see bettas in a cup of water, you're saying that I could keep one happy and healthy in a quart of water? And I very much doubt you could give a proper home to a 6 inch fish in 10 gallons of water. Just because your tank is better than the one at the LFS doesn't mean is a good home for a fish, tanks at fish stores are small because they spend usually less than 2 weeks in them where when you bring a fish home you're expecting it to live a full lifetime.

To the OP I think your stock list should work, although you shouldn't try to "max out" a tank I think what you want will be okay.

Wroberson said:
I wouldn't worry too much unless you think the habitat you are giving the fish is <= the home they have at the LFS. If it's greater or better than what they have at the store, you wouldn't be wrong to give any fish a better home. The bigger the fish are, the fewer you can have in a tank. A 1 inch fish should have 1 gallon of water where a 6 inch fish might need 10 gallons. Then there's the fish that needs all 29 gallons.

Unless it was going to get purchased by someone who would give it better living conditions. Also the 1inch per gallon rule does not work, someone probably mentioned this all ready but each fish gives off different amounts of waste a d each fish is different for instance a danio and blue neon would need total different spaces because of the swimming habit.

This being said I think the stock you have would be good with out the barbs. I would just get the current stock now and then if you feel there isn't enough going on you can go get the barbs in a few weeks. This will also allow the bb to build up to the new bioload.

How long have you been set on this stock list? I ask because I have change some stock list in the past weekly. Just because when I thought it was set. I'd stroll in the LFS and BAM!! They had something new I hadn't considered. Lol

nothing is set in stone, I just like seeing every one's opinions, I was at petco today and some one that actually knew what they were talking about suggested harlequin rasboras

I'll tell you a awesome fish that I never see any
more marble hatchet's! Heck, I barely silver hatchets either. Sry kinda out of topic. It just popped in my head.

phishfriend said:
I'll tell you a awesome fish that I never see any
more marble hatchet's! Heck, I barely silver hatchets either. Sry kinda out of topic. It just popped in my head.

I saw some for the first time in ages! Marbles that is. For a little while the lfs's around here had a lot of silver ones recently and the one even has golden rams! I'm trying to find a quick set up to spawn them or just try and trade my kribs for them!

Everyone has their own opinions. I used to try to max the tank out, but now am opting for lighter stock. I rarely ask for stock opinions here anymore because you will always have some for and some against whatever you are thinking of doing. I judge my tank more on water quality and space. If my nitrates are less than 10 and my fish have room to swim without bumping noses all the time then I don't worry about it.

I don't know that I would add another species of fish, but what you initially proposed of increasing the schools you already have to the level you suggested seems like a reasonable stocking level. If it were me, I would probably add fewer barbs and bring your smaller fish schools up to an even 10 or so, but that's strictly a matter of opinion on stocking philosophy and aesthetics rather than some profound stocking rule.

Back
Top Bottom