Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-29-2014, 12:28 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

PWC to lower temp in tank, how much

Just trying to figure out where people stand on this. I have a 55g that reaches about 83 during the day (no heater) and 81 by night. It looks like it is stressing some of the fish out a bit, pretty warm. My water parameters are perfect, finally cycled.

When doing a water change, 30% I plan on using a water temp of 78. This MIGHT bring my tank temp down to 80-81 in my head. So a temp change of 2 degrees, is that such a bad thing? I am bringing the water in very slow, and they seem to love the water coming in, swimming to the stream.

Opinions, comments, experiences?

Old 03-29-2014, 02:24 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

What fish are you housing in the tank? That would be a helpful piece of information. Personally I don't think a swing in temperature -5 degrees makes a big difference-others may disagree- unless you have fish that are super sensitive to changes. I'm not saying large swims in temperature are good, but a drop less than 5 degrees probably won't hurt anything.

The reason I don't think a small dip in temperature is a big deal is because fish in the wild swim through a few different temperature ranges based on the depth they are at, even relatively shallow waters have warm/cold spots.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 03-29-2014, 05:57 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

In the wild fish have the ability or choice to swim to areas of the water where temperature is optimal for them given the external factors.

In an enclosed environment they can't do this. The fact that they are actively swimming towards the area where the cooler water is being applied suggest that the water is too warm.

I don't know how you can maintain a cooler body of water if the external temperature is too high.

What I would suggest is that when you do 50% water changes add water that is a few degrees lower. This might give the fish a bit of a sense of cooler rainwater being added and reduce stress a little. Maybe you would have to do this twice a week.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:17 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I always do my 50% water change at 2 degrees (Fahrenheit) cooler. My fish seem to love it.

Tags
pwc, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com