PWC-What Chemicals to use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kubuspuchat3k

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just wanted to hear some feed back on what chemicals everyone uses when they do a PWC?

My apartment is too small and i can't keep a 55 gallon trash can in my home office to let the water set. I hook up my hose to the kitchen faucet and let the water run right into the tank. I add Stress coat by API and Cycle by Nutrafin.

You only need a good quality dechlor like Prime. That cycle junk is just a waste of money IMHO. Stress coat works fine, but is about 5 times as expensive as Prime when you do the math.

Prime and that is really all you need. To start a tank up, do the fishless cycle. Its humane and cheap to do.

wait, you add dechlor after the water is in your tank?

right now i use tetra aquasafe, but ill switch to prime when i run out

Yep i add the dechlor as I'm doing my water change, thats the only way I can do it. I change about 75 gallons weekly.

Yes, it is perfectly safe to add dechlor while filling up the tank. I do this every time I do a water change. I change 50% of my 150g, which is probably 60ish gallons after taking the rocks in to consideration.

The only chems I use are Prime and ferts. I add the Prime while filling the tank. Remember if adding while you fill the tank, you need to treat fopr the whole tank volume.

Back
Top Bottom