Pygmy Corydoras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rsquared333

Aquarium Advice Freak
Here's my 10 gal tank:

Filter- Aqua clear 20 (with sponge, carbon, and bio-max running)

Heating- Tronic 50 watt (77-80 degrees)

CO2- DIY

Lighting- about 2 watts per gallon

Substrate- onyx sand

Plants- Rotala Indica
Anubius Nana
Moneywort
Hairgrass
Wisteria

All kept trimed leaving plenty of swimming space

Decor- One piece of drift wood almost splits the tank in half diagnoly
2 small pieces of white honeycomb rock

Here's my question:

Is this a suitable enviornment for a school of pygmy corydoras? If so how many? And what tankmates can I keep with them?

I think they would like that environment.. Pygmy Cory's are pretty cool.. They occupy the bottom middle and top of the tank unlike most other corys that spent the majority of the time on the bottom / middle...

I would get a group of them.. maybe 6 or 7? They are community friendly. Very peaceful. I would try to find peaceful slower moving fish that don't stress them up.. My pleco use to bounce them around and they sure didn't appreciate the extra attention...

Moose

Is this a suitable enviornment for a school of pygmy corydoras? If so how many? And what tankmates can I keep with them?
A ten gal tank is pretty small to have a great school of pygmies and something else.

If you stay on top of the water changes, then I recommend 8 pygmies and a couple Badis. Or fill up on pygmies (10) and watch the fun!

I personally think a 10 gallon is too small and you shouldn't put more then 4 cories in that 10 gallon. But then again, I'm the type of person to understock my tanks versuses taking the chance of overstocking it.

Pygmy cories grow to about an inch and should be fine in the numbers I suggested. I had my 5 pygmies and a few Badis in a 10 gal hex before up grading to a 25 gal tank when I bought all the Badis at the LFS. Now I want more pygmies for the new tank!

Now if it was an Emerald Cory or even a bronze then yes there should only be 2 to 4 in a 10 gallon.. :)

I say only 4 because I'm not really looking at their size, but more that these little guys are always cleaning/eating, which means they are creating waste a lot. But that's just me. :D

The Cories are corydoras pygmaeus, I am getting them from a lfs so shipping isn't a problem. This is my only tank currently. I also planed on getting the malaysian shrimp or cherry fire shrimp for algae. The fish I am considering to add with the pygmies are Harlequin Rasboras, Badis, Hatches, Zebra Danios, or Guppies.

Okay, if you want shrimps, then cut back to 3 cories. Out of the fish--my vote's for the Badis :wink: One thing--make sure the fish you choose will not eat your shrimp!

No. You will find not an otocinclus in any of my eight tanks. I am happy to report there was no algae in that tank due to the good works of a small rubber lipped pleco. You WILL find plecos in most of my tanks :wink: Only my new ram tank at school and my brackish tank are pleco-less. The ram tank won't be for long--I just have to catch the clown pleco from the Badis tank, but do not fear, the Badis tank will still have two plecos from BrianNY :D

Back
Top Bottom