Quarantine tank - if empty, how do I feed the bacterial colony?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CMOS

Aquarium Advice Regular
Howdy All,

I'm setting up a 10 gallon quarantine tank which will be filtered with a Eheim 2213 filled with Poret foam.

If the quarantine tank is empty, how do y'all suggest I keep the filter bio bacteria alive?

Thoughts?

CMOS

Keep the filter media in the one of your main tanks until your ready to use it, this way you'll be ready when needed with cycled media.

I would prefer not to do that as getting those Eheim's primed is a PITA. Can I dose with Ammonia or just drop in some food now and then? Same thing?

CMOS

If the filter is that much trouble I'd switch to a smaller HOB filter like a Aquaclear 20, or just run the filter on the your display tank while your not using the QT tank?

+1 to that. I don't see a viable way of maintaining a 'status quo' on an empty tank for any decent amount of time. You need the media or filter itself in the main tank so it's ready to go if and when you need it. I've put my media in my main filter and it lives there permanently. I've only needed it once so far. Remember also, if you put sick fish in your quarantine, you'll have to ditch your media once you're done so you don't reintroduce any nasties back into your main tank.

I've got a similar situation. I was planning on keeping some pigmy Cories in it once I'm done quarantining new arrivals.

Back
Top Bottom