question about decorations that aren't silly plastic boats..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Hi

I am interested in doing a very natural theme for my cichlid tank. I want to add a freeform slate rock bridge and maybe some picture rocks.

None of the LFS have just plain rocks that are ready to use. They only have aquamen, sunken ships, etc.

Can I purchase slate/rocks from home depot and use them? That way I can customize their size/shape....What do i need to do to treat them before introducing them to the tank?

What about plants from ponds? Can I use them? What is the protocol on this?

Yes, you can go to a garden center and buy slate. You can boil it or wash it with hot water and bleach. Be sure to rinse well.

I would check with your state about collecting plants.

Home Depot and Lowes aren't great sources for slate. All of their product is cut for floor tile applications, with very uniform thickness. Find a landscaping company - they are more likely to have rock in it's "natural" form.

I agree with src Landsaping companys are the best way to get a set of rocks that are pretty. I got some slate and got to pick the rocks I wanted for $10.00 and I got 12 nice size rocks. free to go in the tank.

I just go down to the loacal stream. I can usually find decent pieces of granite, slate, sandstone (if I have to use it). Sometimes I get lucky and find pieces of quartz. My main advice would be to watch that you dont get limestone, although it won't affect you as much, seeing as you are doing a cichlid tank.

i would also caution taking plants from ponds. i have some that are considered pests--like duckweed--and once it's there it d**m hard if not impossible to get rid of. and it takes over! it's the bane of my existence!

evercl92 said:
I just go down to the loacal stream. I can usually find decent pieces of granite, slate, sandstone (if I have to use it). Sometimes I get lucky and find pieces of quartz. My main advice would be to watch that you dont get limestone, although it won't affect you as much, seeing as you are doing a cichlid tank.

I would advise against this as you have no idea what pesticides, fertilizers, etc... may be washing into the stream from upstream. If you have a local shop that specializes in saltwater or that sells saltwater supplies you may be able to buy some base rock and use that.

Back
Top Bottom