Question about flow rates and gallons per hour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xzap

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm going to run an external co2 reactor, the bactoball type by Aqua Medic..it's gph rating is 250.

I have a small pump now that's rated at 73 gph max.

I want this to be a stand alone unit and not plumbed into the filter return line.

Here's my question.. to pull water from the tank and push it thru the reactor and then back into the tank what strength pump will I need ?

Thx,

dave

If you keep the input and output heights close you wont need to worry about head height. I've seen the ~80gph Eheim pumps in closed loops so the 73gph may work, but most use 100-150gph for powerhead reactors. I'll bet your project with one of the baby MagDrives would rule. I use a Mag 2 as a return pump and can't say enough good things about it: my other pumps look and feel like toys.

some times the model number denotes flow, other times it has nothing to do with it.

big als doesn't always list full product specs, like gph. I'd google for the manufacturer's site, as they'll list it there for sure.

Back
Top Bottom