Question about platys.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chronos313

Aquarium Advice Addict
Anyone find it normal that their platy will sit on the bottom of the tank for a long period of time? Im just about to test my paeans and do a pwc, just wondering if anyone else has experienced this

My platies would do this after I Introduced them to my tank, And i've heard they do this when Pregnant sometimes. Imo if they are near the glass, try and tap the glass, and see if they react. If they do thats a good sign.

Ya I just did a pwc, my water tests came up nice. My nitrates were at 20 ppm so my 25% change will help. They seem to be moving around now. Will monitor it as I can. Before I did my pwc my 1 male was flaring at one of the females with his Thimbu sticking out( I forget the actual term) but it was funny cause she blew him off. I have 2 males and 6 females so hopefully the fry survival rate will be a higher %

Like Ziggs said, sometimes gravid females do that who are just about to drop fry. Mine have never done it, but i have heard other people say theirs do.
Is the fish new to the tank?

Mine do that when it's early (12am 6am etc.) but when mine was pregnant she swam up and down very fast.she also hid where I couldn't see her and her friends (behind filter,behind rock etc.).

Back
Top Bottom