Question about running two HOB filters!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jjensen187

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone, before I go ahead and do something I would like to get some input as I'm unsure about it.

I have a 29gal that came with a older tetra whisper 40 HOB and I decided to add a marineland penguin 200 bio-wheel HOB to my tank as well. Both filters are established at this point and the tank has been cycled for a while now but I would like to remove the old tetra filter.

Would I go into a mini cycle removing one of the filters or would the penguin 200 with bio-wheel have a sufficient amount of BB to prevent a cycle?

Can you transfer media from the old filter to the new ones?

That'll help seed em immediately and will reduce and risk of build ups.

I'm not overly familiar with these filters but I'm sure a more knowledgeable person will chime in after the hangovers wear off lol :)

Well both filters are established including the penguin. The penguin 200 is rated for 30-50 gal at 200 GPH.

Stock contains 2 mollies, 2 guppies, 4 corys, 2 dwarf gouramis, 4 white cloud, 7 neons, 5 tetra, 4 kuhli loaches.

The tetra filter media could be stuffed into the penguin but I want to know if I can just scrap the entire filter.

If you have 2 eastablished filters running at the same time and remove one you will be fine. I have done it a number of times. I have a aqua clear HOB and fluval U4 submersible, and I have removed the U4 and given it to other people to start there cycling. Never have had a problem.

Why do you want to get ride of one of the filters anway? I would keep them both going, can't ever have too much filtration.

Well I'm trying to make room near the back edge of my tank for a DIY CO2 power-head diffuser and being only 29gal, there isn't much room. I ended up taking the media out of the whisper and seeding it into the penguin, I expect to be ok.

Running HOB Filters

Hey everyone, before I go ahead and do something I would like to get some input as I'm unsure about it.

I have a 29gal that came with a older tetra whisper 40 HOB and I decided to add a marineland penguin 200 bio-wheel HOB to my tank as well. Both filters are established at this point and the tank has been cycled for a while now but I would like to remove the old tetra filter.

Would I go into a mini cycle removing one of the filters or would the penguin 200 with bio-wheel have a sufficient amount of BB to prevent a cycle?

Hello J...

Check the gallons per hour (gph) of the filter you want to keep. If you follow a regular water change routine by removing and replacing half the water in your tank every week, then you need a single filter with a gph of roughly 6 times the volume of your tank or a filter that runs about 175 gallons of tank water per hour.

Regular and large water changes keep the tank water cleaner, so the filter is just filtering water that's already clean. So, there's no reason to over filter your tank.

B

Back
Top Bottom