Question i never wanted to ask :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

richardh

Aquarium Advice Freak
Here goes. Have a couple of very poorly tetras :( they are not swimming straight, if at all. Just floating and spinning in the current. No sign of damage in any way. I have lost almost half of this batch over the last 2-weeks. They have been like this for about 12 hours now and I can't bear to see them suffer any more. Levels are all good.

What's the most humane way to put these out of their misery? I've heard clove oil? Horrible question I know, but answers appreciated.

I'm sorry to hear about your fish :( its a hard decision to make.
The simplest most humane way I've found is to make a icy slurry and drop them into that. There is a sticky in the unhealthy fish section.

Thanks. All other tank mates are doing fine. I've got a bad batch of cardinals I think. I'm down to 5 of 10 ten now.

:(

+1 to the ice/icy water method.

You asking the question will probably bring some comfort to the tetras. How good of you for caring :)

Cardinals are sensitive to ammonia - more so than other fish. What is your ammonia testing out at?

Thats what I can't understand. 0 Amm, 0 nitrite, <5 nitrates. Ph stable at 7.2. temp at 25c. Regular PWC of 50% a week.

I have more sensitive fish like harlequins that are just fine and beautifully coloured.

Oh well, better prepare their icy watery grave :( :( :(

Harlequins are much tougher than cardinals, IMO and IME. They are pretty susceptible to nitrogen-type toxins (ammonia, nitrite, nitrates). I think sometimes change just doesn't set well.

I lost 2 of 6 of a batch that cardinals moving from one established tank to another. I think that the wild caught ones don't tank kindly to being jostled or something.

Thats what I can't understand. 0 Amm, 0 nitrite, <5 nitrates. Ph stable at 7.2. temp at 25c. Regular PWC of 50% a week.

I have more sensitive fish like harlequins that are just fine and beautifully coloured.

Oh well, better prepare their icy watery grave :( :( :(

Is the water test kit your using the strips or a fresh water master test kit from what I've learned the strips are very inaccurate and the test kits that you add drops in a test tube are very accurate ?

patrick cleveland said:
Is the water test kit your using the strips or a fresh water master test kit from what I've learned the strips are very inaccurate and the test kits that you add drops in a test tube are very accurate ?

Yes API master kit, so I have reasonable confidence in it.

I've used the strips before and IME you can only get a reading when levels are ridiculously high! What's the point in that! Test strips tell me my PH is <6.4, API says 7.2. I know which I trust.. API master all the way ...

Quick standard question: Do you know you have to shake the nitrate test kits quite hard before using them?

aqua_chem said:
Quick standard question: Do you know you have to shake the nitrate test kits quite hard before using them?

Yes, I shake the bottle then the tube until my arms burn :)

Back
Top Bottom