Quick ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

raydowning

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 20 gallon community tank has always had a 0.25ppm ammonia on my API freshwater master test kit is this ok. I have live plants in there and a piece of drift wood

current test results are
PH = 6.8 to 7.0
ammonia = 0.25ppm
nitrite = 0 ppm
nitrate = about 40ppm

current stock
Cory Cat = 2
Long fin Zebra = 1
Fancy Guppy = 2
Glow fish = 2
Platys = 4 (These guys was a surprise my first platy i bought was pregnant)

What filter and media are you running on it? It's much more preferable to have 0ppm as anything higher can still cause damage.

Having a little ammonia, just barely .25 is common. Most agree that as long as it doesn't get above .25 you are good. The bacteria need some for food. Sometimes wast accumulates under decor and can cause a slight ammonia reading. Decaying plants can too. If your fish are doing fine then don't worry. If the ammonia reading starts going higher you need to investigate further to find out why. Using Prime water conditioner can neutralize the .25 ammonia and keep the fish safe.

My 20 gallon community tank has always had a 0.25ppm ammonia on my API freshwater master test kit is this ok. I have live plants in there and a piece of drift wood

current test results are
PH = 6.8 to 7.0
ammonia = 0.25ppm
nitrite = 0 ppm
nitrate = about 40ppm

current stock
Cory Cat = 2
Long fin Zebra = 1
Fancy Guppy = 2
Glow fish = 2
Platys = 4 (These guys was a surprise my first platy i bought was pregnant)

When you say always had a 0.25 Ammo reading, since when?

Afew more basic questions that would help greatly are:

How long has the tank been up?
What filter are you using?
Have you added any fish recently, if so how many?

i have the filter that came with this tank the aqueon 20 i know i need an upgrade but atm my budget is all taken with my bills (stupid bills always getting in the way lol) and it has had the 0.25 ammonia since i set up the tank 6 or 7 mounts now fish are fine and active. and i have not added any fish since the baby platys and they were added in at the beginning of the month.

Hmm, I'll state the obvious to get yourself a new filter as soon as you can which can handle the bio load. Until then you could try adding a bacteria supplement such as Tetra SafeStart or Fluval/Nutrafin Cycle, they should help get the ammonia down and add a little more bacteria to your tank.

You could always double up with another aqueon 20 for 15-20$ rather than dropping the $30-45 on a 30-40 gal filter???

Hmm, I'll state the obvious to get yourself a new filter as soon as you can which can handle the bio load. Until then you could try adding a bacteria supplement such as Tetra SafeStart or Fluval/Nutrafin Cycle, they should help get the ammonia down and add a little more bacteria to your tank.

i will try this i should have a little extra money after the new year and i will try to get a new filter and grab some bacteria supplement. Is it ok to put the supplement in with my fish or do i need to mix it before i put in in the tank?

i will try this i should have a little extra money after the new year and i will try to get a new filter and grab some bacteria supplement. Is it ok to put the supplement in with my fish or do i need to mix it before i put in in the tank?

It's usually fine to pop it straight in, although if I have stock in my tanks I usually just put the full dose that needs to go in to the tank in to a 2L jug of dechlorinated water; then pouring that in to the tank :)

If you do add a bacteria supplement, shake it well first!

Have you tested your water source for ammonia?

Have you tested your water source for ammonia?

I use tap water with prime freshwater & saltwater remover. is it ok to add a little extra when i do my water changes? I never used this type of conditioner before my lfs says it is good stuff so i tried it out.

Yes. Prime is safe up to a 5x dose per the bottle. It is entirely possible that you have ammonia in your tap. I'd test it to be sure one way or the other.

Yes. Prime is safe up to a 5x dose per the bottle. It is entirely possible that you have ammonia in your tap. I'd test it to be sure one way or the other.

i did and yes i do looks like it was at .50ppm if i read the test right but that is right out of the tap and with no conditioner when i do my next water change i will add more and test and see if i still have the ammonia and i will add some of the bacteria supplement as well.

i did and yes i do looks like it was at .50ppm if i read the test right but that is right out of the tap and with no conditioner when i do my next water change i will add more and test and see if i still have the ammonia and i will add some of the bacteria supplement as well.

Adding more prime will still make the ammonia show up on a test. Prime only converts ammonia to a non-lethal variant, it doesn't get rid of it.

I've been told chloramines will create a false positive when testing for amm/ammn. Anyone??? I had the same issue testing tap, like 4ppm, crazy high!!

I've been told chloramines will create a false positive when testing for amm/ammn. Anyone??? I had the same issue testing tap, like 4ppm, crazy high!!

Dechlorinate it first then, the ammonia readings will still show up as the ammonia is never removed using any dechlorinator.

Dechlorinate it first then, the ammonia readings will still show up as the ammonia is never removed using any dechlorinator.
Good call! After adding prime it tested 0, but than again if it binds amm, would it test 0 either way??? Very curious..

Good call! After adding prime it tested 0, but than again if it binds amm, would it test 0 either way??? Very curious..
Prime turns ammonia in to a non-harmful form, but it still gets read by tests as ammonia. If it's reading 0, then your tap water has 0 ammonia :)

Back
Top Bottom