Revised Setup of Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erik7

Aquarium Advice Activist
After the opinions that Angels would be too big and possibly eat my fish (eek!), I got a new setup.

Tank: 29gal
pH and other levels: approate for these fish

• Pair of [Blue or Bolivian] Rams
    6 Corys (small, ie pygmy or panda)
    8 Cardinals
    Single Clown Pleco

I was told this was approate for a 29g. What is your opinion of my final setup?

sounds like an awsome idea IMO i would go with the blue rams and panda cories but that is just what i like u may like different

Yay! I think I finally found my perfect setup. Thanks everyone, will defentally post pictures.

All my friends seem to think a fish tank is a stupid idea and a waste of money. I cant wait to pimp it out and prove to them how cool this hobby can be! Thanks AA for all your help :)

Do you think either the corries or cardinals would be good to cycle with?

I personally prefer to "fishless" cycle. You can do this with either pure Ammonia or a combo of raw shrimp/fish food. If you'd rather cycle with the fish, you will need a fish that is hardier (withstand fluctuating water parameters) than cardinals. Some of the other types of tetras are better suited (black skirts for example). Danios are also good.

You will need test kits for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and ph. AP makes a great test kit. It's cheaper if you purchase the Master Kit online.

In regard to your friends opinion about your tank being a waste of money, don't sweat it. I have family members who visit and ask me why do I have two boxes of water in my living room? 8O They don't get it...but we do. :wink:

What about using BioSpira? I've been reading about it, but it seems that its not as popular as I would think.

Bio-Spira has had some spectacular results and some dreadful results as per many members. I believe it has a lot to do with how the LFS or the supplier has handled the product while in their care.

If the product has not been kept at it's recommended temp, it degrades and becomes useless. The other problem is it's not readily available at most LFS.

Try looking
here
for more information.

That one online distributor for it is supposed to be reliable. I forgot the site, though. I've never heard of anyone getting a bad batch from him.

There is no way that cardinal tetras will survive a cycle IMO. They are just too delicate. If you do not want to wait for your tank to cycle I would suggest trying the BioSpira. I've heard of more success stories than failures.

You've picked fish that will make perfect tankmates and you should have a very nice community tank. Keep in mind that while Bolivian rams are not as colorful as the blue rams, they are much more hardy and as a beginner you may have a better experience with them, but this is JMO and it doesn't mean that you shouldn't keep blue rams if you want them more- it just means that they are more demanding. :D

Back
Top Bottom