rocks from a stream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hartman57

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i havd trouble with my nitrates. i had placed rocks as ornaments in my 45 gallon tank that i had found near a local stream. i took the nesessary precautions to clean them. i soaked them for 2 ays, powerwashed them and did a vinegar test. could these raise my nitrates to extremely dnagerous levels ( 200)
thanks

Maybe I'm missing something, but why would they raise your nitrates, let alone to 200?

just asking i have trouble with nitrates and i have done 4 water changes in the past 4 days and my levels are not moving. im thinking outside the box a little. since water changes seem to be the ost obivious i thought maybe something eslae could be increasing the nitrates. also i have lost 4 fish in a week the lastes being tonight

How is your pH? I have heard of some types of rocks causing an increase in pH, but they are usually "holey" type rocks that you most likely are not going to find in your typical stream.

hartman57 said:
my ph is 7.6 - 7.8. i guess i should just keep doing h2o changes to lower the nitrates huh?

Yeah, thats the best way to get them down. Get a python if you don't have one already, they make water changes a snap.

get your water tested at your LFS. Sometimes tests go bad. Are you using the strip tests or liquid tests? Usually the liquid tests are much more accurate and are less likely to go bad.

Make sure you vacumn the gravel well with the water changes and when was the last time you cleaned your filter? Also you may want to test your tap water to see how nitrates read off that.

check your nitrites because if you have nitrites at all, your nitrate tests could be messed up

Back
Top Bottom