?s on 20g column tank or should I get a different size?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JenNewbie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I found an ad for a 45 gal tank on craigslist for $50 and I got all excited. But, being a student, money is extremely tight. My co-worker w/ the 20 gal tank that I can have free finally gave me dimensions and it sounds like the tank is about 24x12x12 or something similar that would equal 20 gal. Basically, it's a column tank and she may not have the stand for it anymore. Is that a size that would do all right just on the floor or a sturdy counter? I'm trying to get myself to focus on what I could/could not do w/ this tank rather than dreaming...if I only had a BIGGER tank... Somebody give me a dose of reality here! This tank may not be the size I want, but you can't beat the price: free w/ whatever accessories she still has (pump, heater, HOB filter, gravel). I can still do tetras and corys in a column tank, right? And with those dimensions, something makes me think it might be more acceptable to a landlord/housemate than a rectangular tank.

I am assuming when you say column it has a 1'x1' footprint, and is 2' tall. In a column, it is easier to overcrowd because there is less surface area. You can still do tetras and corys, but less than you would be able to if it were a 20 gallong long, with a 2'x1' footprint and 1' high.

Somebody give me a dose of reality here! This tank may not be the size I want, but you can't beat the price: free w/ whatever accessories she still has (pump, heater, HOB filter, gravel).

TAKE IT! you can't beat free! Now it may not be the ideal tank, but you can still do a decent community tank there. I remember my student days with very little $$, I'd have jumped on an offer like that. Small/medium tetras, a couple cories, mybe a few swordtails or platies.

Putting it on the floor would probably not be the best idea, but a sturdy counter would work.

If it has a tight fitting cover, you could go with 4-6 hatchets (they can jump when startled, so the need for a tight fitting cover), some tetras and a couple of corys.

If the tank is running now, and you can also have the gravel, keep it wet while moving it (I'd leave it in the tank), and it might already be cycled.

It isn't set up yet. It's been sitting in her barn for who knows how long. I've actually thought about asking her to just bring it in and I'll clean it/reseal it and get the fishless cycle going (how do I explain that I only want ONE shrimp? :wink: ) so that it will be ready for fish by early Feb. (ie, post-move). Plus, I'm already cleaning/packing/living in chaos, so why not add to it before my class load gets to be too much! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom