SAE s vs CAE s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rodeo one

Aquarium Advice Addict
Which one to get for BBA? My LFS said to get a Flying Fox but I ve read conflicting info. Are the SAE s less aggressive? And how many should I get for a 50g that has 2 AF & 6 Zebra (5 of these are prob Yoyo) loaches? I ve cut back on light strength & time , treated with hydrogen peroxide & higher Excel & I m gaining on the BBA.
Some articles say don t get the CAE (which is the Flying Fox, yes?)& some articles say get the SAE cuz they re less aggressive. Confused!!!!

SAE, CAE, and flying fox are all different species, as well as two-three other species that occasionally get mixed in with wild caught fish. Being able to successfully identify them is critically important, as only SAE are decent algae eaters and CAE as well as some of the SAE look-alikes. There is a plethora of resources around that have guides for identification (I'm on mobile right now, maybe someone else can put up a link).

That being said, if you are having a BBA bloom, then I suggest trying to get at the root of the problem. SAE are best at controlling normal algae levels or small blooms but will likely be overwhelmed by a decent bloom.

Also try only running lights 6 hours max until all algae is gone and then gradually increase it. If your getting algae back your running them too long. Also algae is from an imbalance between light/CO2/ferts.

You can also spot treat the BBA with hydrogen peroxide 3%. Turn off your filters, in a syringe pull up 1-3ml of peroxide for every 1 gallon of tank water. Put syringe right up to algae and slowly squirt. Leave filters off 20 minutes. If you have a lot of it you'll have to do an area a day. Usually within 24 hours the BBA will turn red, pink, or white which means it dying.

Honestly I'd do the above and then if you feel you still need a fish to help I'd get an SAE.

image-641962806.jpg

Got 3 of these, Fishnet/Reticulated Flying Fox. I have done all of the things suggested by Rivercats.....you are always my first info source for all things planted. It has helped but this tank had been hard to keep algae free since day one practically. It gets a lot of indirect sunlight. I put a background on the end facing the windows, need to get some stick on window tint for the upper windows that don t have block out curtains.
Appreciate the replies, always nice to bounce things off of other aquarium people.

Well, it's not a SAE, but it's in the same family so it might behave similarly. Let us know how they work for you.

So far so good, these little Flying Foxes settled right in & have been munching away.

Back
Top Bottom