Salt levels in freshwater tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Acknowledging that BB can/does live in the Fluval sponge filter elements, it would be most beneficial to protect that BB, and rinse-off detritus in "old tank water" as opposed to a tap water rinse. However, if the sponges are really clogged, then yes, a tap water rinse seems in order. Any BB is a good thing, whether they reside in bio-mech or in the sponges, or along the walls of the Fluval canister for that matter.

Just so you know your BB will only grow to the amount needed to convert the ammonia/nitrites that your bio-load produces. Most of the time your bio-media is more than capable of housing enough BB. It won't hurt in the Fluval canisters to use sponges as a supplemental bio-media but their design is for detritus collection. The long yellow sponges on the sides have larger pore openings for trapping larger detritus and the black sponge that fits in the basket has a much tighter pore structure for catching much smaller detritus. So the point I'm trying to make OP is that their basic function is for detritus collection with bio-capability being an added bonus if you wish to use it for that also.

I found that using a Fluval 406 in my 55's that housed 2-8+ fancy GF each needed thorough sponge cleaning every 2 weeks due to the amount of waste/detritus they collected. I also run Wisper EX70's on the other end of the tanks.

On my 220g I run 4- Fluval 406 canisters. When I added the 4th one I used it for only the sponges that came with the unit and bio-media in the other 3 baskets. Since I'm very diligent about keeping the other 3 cleaned I decided to let this one run for 4 months. Before the 4 months were up I noticed my nitrates rising up to over 30ppm whereas that tank normally runs on 10ppm nitrates weekly with 50% WC's. I couldn't get the nitrates down unti I took that canister off for cleaning. Man those sponges were full of detritus. I rinsed them till the water ran clear, did a 50% WC in the tank, and my nitrate levels dropped. Point of the story is if the sponges are not adequately rinsed they will over time cause nitrate buildups in the tank.

Last edited:
Regular rinsing will pevent severe clogging. I rinse my sponges every one to two weeks and they are the only filters in the tanks. I rinse until the sponges look yellow again, but obviously, I am never going to remove every scrap of dirt... but that's not a bad thing as BB will be clinging diligently to that little.bit of dirt too ;)

Are you referring to the sponge filters you use at the shop you work at since you have previously said you don't keep tanks at home? In the US shops have one large filtration system that all tanks run on for the most part. If they do have only a sponge filter on a tank for some reason there is no substrate, plants, etc., which is much different than sponges in canisters that have room for other bio-media on home tanks that have substrate, decorations, plants, etc.

Everyone agrees BB can and will grow on and in sponges and it's a matter of choice as to whether sponges in canister filters are rinsed with tap water or old tank water. My point is that canister sponges in Fluval canisters main purpose is for different size detritus removal. The fact they also act as addition media for BB colonization is a bonus. If one feels the need to rinse the sponges in old tank water it's perfectly acceptable but IMO unless the tank is highly overstocked it's not necessary to worry about losing the amount of BB they contain especially since it will simply recolonize.

Thank you Rivercats,

I understand exactly what you're saying about the Fluval sponges. In the past (up until this week) I rinsed those yellowish sponges thoroughly — and the black sponge too using tap water. I also would tap-water rinse the two polyfill flat pads*.

*the super-compressed pad about 1/4" thick and a 1" thick pad which I purchased as an extra filtering agent, to clear my water of very small particulates.

I knew when I bought this 206, to leave the bio-mech ALONE, don't disturb it, don't rinse it with tap water. If I saw any clump of detritus there, I would use a tooth brush to remove it. Some detritus got to the bio-mech BEFORE I added that 1"-thick polyfil pad. Since adding it, no detritus (that I can see) among the bio-mech. There is some yellowish-brown stain on the bio-mech, I figured it's harmless bacterial build-up.

I do run some extra bio-mech (ceramic tubes placed in end so flow passes through the tubes) which rest on top of the black sponge. And just below the charcoal packet, I have one or two filter pads to scrub-away nitrites. I change those out every 3-4 days. (Bought them from my LFS).

My filter gets a clean-up at every water change, when I rinse the sponges clear of detritus.

While we're on this topic, what do you recommend for the feed/return tubing? Should they be cleaned periodically with a bottle brush snake?

I don't even use those pads anymore. I get a large bag of 100% Polyfill from Michael's Craft Store for around $7 and use that. I compact it under water when I stuff it in the baskets. It does great for catching small detritus and you can just throw it away and add new when you clean the filter. It's also great for stuffing in any place you want a little extra mechanical media.

I must admit I do like having multiple filters now ever since one lot of biomedia got knocked over. With the sponges cleaned already it probably knocked the filter back to starting from scratch. I guess my fault but such a rarity for our backyard to get used...

Are you referring to the sponge filters you use at the shop you work at since you have previously said you don't keep tanks at home? In the US shops have one large filtration system that all tanks run on for the most part. If they do have only a sponge filter on a tank for some reason there is no substrate, plants, etc., which is much different than sponges in canisters that have room for other bio-media on home tanks that have substrate, decorations, plants, etc.

Everyone agrees BB can and will grow on and in sponges and it's a matter of choice as to whether sponges in canister filters are rinsed with tap water or old tank water. My point is that canister sponges in Fluval canisters main purpose is for different size detritus removal. The fact they also act as addition media for BB colonization is a bonus. If one feels the need to rinse the sponges in old tank water it's perfectly acceptable but IMO unless the tank is highly overstocked it's not necessary to worry about losing the amount of BB they contain especially since it will simply recolonize.

I work for an importer/wholesaler. We have tanks on systems too, but will be converting to individually filtered tanks in order to reduce the risk of disease spreading to a large portion of our stock. The sponge filtered tanks have been running for over twelve months now and have been very successful.

I am not disagreeing with you Rivercats, I am giving my perspective so that the OP can make an informed decision. I know my years of experience have been dismissed as irrelevant by certain individuals on here when I have disagreed with them or offered an alternative idea, but I learned what I know by working with fish both in captive and wild situations, not just as a hobbyist. I always try to offer a good reasoned explanation for my idea/alternative methodology.

I work for an importer/wholesaler. We have tanks on systems too, but will be converting to individually filtered tanks in order to reduce the risk of disease spreading to a large portion of our stock. The sponge filtered tanks have been running for over twelve months now and have been very successful.

I am not disagreeing with you Rivercats, I am giving my perspective so that the OP can make an informed decision. I know my years of experience have been dismissed as irrelevant by certain individuals on here when I have disagreed with them or offered an alternative idea, but I learned what I know by working with fish both in captive and wild situations, not just as a hobbyist. I always try to offer a good reasoned explanation for my idea/alternative methodology.

I was asking out of curiosity as to how the systems run on your side of the pond compared to here as I've found things are often done differently between our country and others.

OP I forgot to answer about cleaning the pipes and in/out flow pieces... I normally don't bother but have found with the ribbed tubing Fluval uses that after a couple years, more or less depending on the stock is best to be replaced with new tubing. The ribs tend to collect fine detritus over time and more so with messy fish and just feel it's a good idea to replace it sometimes. Now I have new tubing on a 55g tank that only houses nano fish and considering how clean the canister stays I seriously doubt I'll ever change the tubing so long as I have those fish in the tank. I also like to change out for new tubing if I am restarting a tank with totally new stock.

Thanks Rivercats, and thanks Pip. I do appreciate both of you taking your time and sharing your knowledge.

I'm inclined to change-out the feed/return tubes sometime in the next 60 days, being somewhat budget-limited at the moment. There are a few items I need ahead of that new tubing.

Is there a specific size or manufacturer type you'd recommend using? I know I can buy a variety of tubing sizes (clear plastic —*is it vinyl???) at Lowes. I'm reasonably confident I can find the exact size needed there.

I know others buy the proper size tubing at places like Lowes but I just put the same Fluval hosing back on when I do occasionally change it out.

Back
Top Bottom