Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Coursair said:
You can also use Black Diamond Sand Blasting Sand.
My favorite is CaribSea Tahitian Moon Sand, but it's pricier. Got mine on sale at Petsmart.

I also like the Carib TMS, I bought mine from Dr Fosters for $20 for 20lbs. I dont drive so the free shipping was worth the extra bucks.

But if you're on a budget, I seriously recommend PFS and as above has mentioned, blasting sand.

I bought pool filter sand from a local store, 50lbs for $9. I rinsed it repeatedly and when I added it to my tank, the water was very murky & didn't settle at all after 2 days. I finally gave up & spent the $15 for 15 lbs of Petco freshwater sand. I don't know what brand I bought, but it wasn't good so be careful when choosing.

geff.gardner said:
I bought pool filter sand from a local store, 50lbs for $9. I rinsed it repeatedly and when I added it to my tank, the water was very murky & didn't settle at all after 2 days. I finally gave up & spent the $15 for 15 lbs of Petco freshwater sand. I don't know what brand I bought, but it wasn't good so be careful when choosing.

I didn't have this problem, I put my sand in a bucket and had a hose spiket with high pressure jet into the bucket. After 5-10 minutes of swirling my hand in it, dumping the water out, refilling, repeating, my sand went in crystal clear.

im in canada too,i got my pfs at relax pools and spas. it was like 13 bucks for 50 pounds of the stuff

Ok yeah I'm gonna be very careful when buying then, I'll probably go and try to find some today

I've heard blasting sand is abrasive. Makes sense given what it's used for. I bought Caribsea Tahitian moon sand $20 for 20 lbs and love it. They sell the sand by itself and "live" with beneficial bacteria. Make sure you buy the dry. Great marketing ploy selling wet sand! You'll save money by getting the sand wet yourself.

nwsharksfan said:
I've heard blasting sand is abrasive. Makes sense given what it's used for. I bought Caribsea Tahitian moon sand $20 for 20 lbs and love it. They sell the sand by itself and "live" with beneficial bacteria. Make sure you buy the dry. Great marketing ploy selling wet sand! You'll save money by getting the sand wet yourself.

Thanks! Ill definitely look for it

Back
Top Bottom