Seachem Purigen to reduce Tannins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grafx

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought driftwood off someone , and they said it was Tannin free, alas, my water is yellow after a week.

I've read up the SeaChem Purigen works amazing wonders in a tank to remove yellow discoloration tannins.

I have an eheim 2215 with carbon, but it's not doing much for the iced tea colored water. What do you suggest? any thoughts on the product?

Replace the carbon. Carbon is usally only good for a week. Depending on the fish you keep the iced tea colored water might not be a bad thing. I enjoy the iced tea colored water in my red belly tank.

I use Purigen anytime I add new driftwood to my tanks or for a new setup with driftwood. That stuff is like magic! I would recommend it and use Seachems bag because it will come through bags that have bigger mesh/holes. It will turn brown after awhile, but it will still work. If the water starts looking yellow/brown again you can recharge the Purigen and use it again.

Just hit 24 hours of purigen. NO difference yet

I do not believe Purigen was intended to remove tannins. In fact, I think it will just stain it. In effect, it will absorb them, and I don't think it affects it's functionality, but you won't be able to tell if it's used up if it's always brown. Recharging every 6 months would be a good rule of thumb to follow in that case.

As far as the speed of it working, I would think it would take at least a week to clear up a tank with lots of dark coloration, then it would probably keep it clear after that (a little absorption at a time).

Of course, if you want to you can just replace it every 6 months instead of recharging, if you only use a 100mL bag for $12-$15 it's still cheaper than carbon and much more effective. If you're like me and use a sum total of 600mL on 4 tanks, recharging makes more sense.

Purigen will remove tannins but I found I needed to recharge it much more frequently. I have a few pieces of mopani that has never stopped leaching and Purigen is the only thing I use.

Back
Top Bottom