Sealing An Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ringfinger

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am up visiting the family for spring break, and it turns out that they have a 46 gallon aquarium that is getting no use. It has been used for reptiles in the past because it supposedly leaked water, but my 15 year old brother recently re-sealed it so he could fill it about 1/4 full for some frogs. He said that he cut out all the old silicone, and the job he did looks pretty clean. So I filled it full of water about 6 hours ago, and no leaks have shown up. My question is...how long do I need to leave it full of water in the garage while being observed before I can feel safe about having it full of water inside the house? And out of curiosity, is it that easy to screw up a sealing job, or are chances good that my brother's job was adequate?

Well did he take off the old silicone? If he didn't then chances are it isn't going to work correctly, you have to scrape it all off then apply new silicone to it.

I would be double safe and let it site the the grague for about three to four days and observe it really carefully to make sure it is not leaking out anywhere. After that I would think it will be pretty safe to move inside. imo

Back
Top Bottom