Seeking Assistance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kerrinne

Aquarium Advice Freak
Alright, a few weeks ago I moved my one tetra (the kind you can see through - perhaps it's called neon?) from a glass bowl to a 10 ga tank. The store stocked me up with a few buddies for him (one golden chinese algae eater, 5 blue/red looking tetras, and 5 larger silver looking tetras). I thought...cool...12 fish would be nice in a tank that size.

Maybe so, but as I'm learning perhaps it is better to get it there gradually! Everything was fine the first few weeks. I lost one fish a couple days later, probably due to shock or some such. The other 11 lived happily and my 3 1/2 year old daughter and I enjoyed watching them in the morning and then again when we got home at the end of the day.

Well...the day before yesterday, I woke up to find two floaters. It looked like their fins were missing! I got rid of them, and added a little fresh water and some more of that stress coat stuff. I had no idea what had befallen those poor guys!

Then yesterday, I came home from work to find that we were down to six live fish and two of them looked deathly ill. Their fins too were seemingly shedding/disintegrating, they were flopping about the water without control, and one of them seemed to have like a whitish substance about his body. They died before bed time. I took the four remaining fish (the old tetra from my original bowl, the two large silver tetras, and the algae eater) and put them in clean water in the old fish bowl that I had.

They are still alive this morning, but one of the silvers looks like his fins are starting to fray and is lightly covered by that stuff. Someone please help me and tell me what to buy?! The people at the pet store that get paid $5.50 an hour obviously don't care or don't know! I am heartbroken that my daughter has to go through this...but I will be more heartbroken if her two favorite fish (the old tetra and the algae eater) die!

Thank you.

Well, firstly we need to know if you cycled the 10 gal tank and what the parameters are now ie.. Ammonia/ Nitrite/ Nitrate. what equipment have you got with the tank, filter, heater etc etc. Once we know what you have we can sort out your problems.

If you give us the details of what you have we will see what we can do for you.

Check your levels, Maybe your tank has not cycled fully yet and/or you have really high nitrate levels or ammonia levels which is stressing the fish and now you've got fin rot or something like that going on.

If you don't have already, go to the store and get testing kits for ammonia, ph, nitrate. Keep the filters running, if you don't have a HOB filter with a charcoal filter in it, get one of those too, the charcoal will help filter out the bad stuff, while you're figuring out what levels are too high or low.

Do a 20% water change via gravel vacuum and the more oxygenated and clean your water is the better chance your guys will have of surviving and thriving again.
Hope this helps a little to start.

I have no idea what cycle means? No, I don't have a testing kit of any kind. Or any chemicals of any kind outside of the stress coat stuff. The lady swore that was all I would need.

I have an undergravel pump of some sort with a filter on the end of it, but after reading about the carbon in those filters only being good for so long - I fear that my carbon is no longer active in there. No one told me about the carbon wearing out. :(

I don't have a gravel vacuum either, so I see I have a lot more investing to do. ::sigh:: Perhaps I should have stuck with a single tetra in a bowl.

The tank is now empty except for the water as I was afraid to keep my fish in there. I still have everything running, but I'm not sure what to do. I don't even have a thermometer to take the temperature! All my cooking thermometers start at 100 degrees F.

Why don't the people at the store tell you these things when you tell them you have no idea what you need, etc? I just hope I can save the algae eater and the old tetra if nothing else. They appear unaffected so far.

Cycling means that the tank has gone through an ammonia/biological cycle and is "settled in" with the good biological microcritters that will keep the tank water stable and normal for fish and critters.

Advice varies sometimes, however on this site you will be sure to get some awesome advice from folks like Terry and the advisors especially.

If someone with less experience (like me) makes a mistake posting advice - a pro will usually catch it and correct.

Your shopping list:
Tank heater (submersible professional heaters are best but you can get by with an inexpensive glass heater for now) $10.00
Floating glass thermometer $2.00

Test kits for Nitrates/trites, ammonia, ph, $15 total approx

gravel vacuum $5.00 for a little one (they just siphon the water out while simultaneously sucking up poop and detrius) pardon my french

A hang on back filter (HOB) under $30 (optional)

Or to get by for now you can just replace the little carbon filters stuck in your uplift tubes once every week or 2. In the future you'll find that you may want to get away from undergravels entirely.

Keep at 76-78 degrees, keep filters going, water changes (use dechlorinated water, you can let tap water sit in large bowl for a day to dechlorinate) with gravel vac 20% once a week, feed very lightly.

Do this until your levels stabilize and you have found that you can test weekly and your levels are good (Ammonia zero, nitrates nitrites low, etc)
By then you will note that your water quality will have improved greatly... and then you can gradually add a few more fish.

Diseases like fin rot and stuff are resisted by healthy fish so the happier their enviroment the better they will thrive. Anything you can do to avoid using chemical medications is better IMHO. But they are there if you absolutely need them.

Hope this helps a little.

Well snapcrackler you beat me that time, and don't under estimate yourself the advice you gave was good.
It was that good i'm not going to say anything.

Thank you for the shoppiing list and the tips! I am going right after work this afternoon to the pet store to get these things before I go home, which is why I'm so elated to have such quick responses. I am just praying those last four fish hang on until this afternoon. It's hard to be here at work and think they're at home dying. :( ::fingers crossed::

I guess if they all don't make it...I should continue trying to stablize the water so I can eventually add more fish to it? After all, I've already invested enough. LOL I want fish now since I have the aquarium. And they really have been such a joy until this incident. You have to love quiet pets.

One of the key things you need in this hobby Kerrinne is patience, Enjoy your shopping trip and get the stuff you need. Once you have your test kits you can concentrate on your water, once you get that right it will be plain sailing.
If you have any questions no-matter how silly you think they are JUST ASK everyone on here will help in what ever way they can.

Kerrinne it's too bad you don't live in the UK, you could have bought your first aquarium from Terry's store, he runs one and would have steered you right the first time! :D hehe

No worries, you will have everything up and running swell in no time. Just keep checking out this site, especially do searches regarding the issues you are facing, you can really glean a lot of information. I could not believe the amount of stuff I learned about my first saltwater tank in a matter of weeks here. Like snails that live in tubes. Go figure. I ask questions on this site constantly.

Thank you so much again. I have booked marked the site so I can come here. As I imagine my daughter and I will need lots of help! It seems there's a lot more to learn about caring for fish properly!

One more question on the test kits - will it tell me in the instructions what levels of each thing it tests for are normal? Or what I need to do to correct any levels that are amiss? Because I would likely have no clue.

Hi Kerrine. Sorry to hear your first fishtank experience has been so scary and sad. :( That'll change! I'm fairly new to tanks myself, and find this site and the people who contribute to be very knowledgable and supportive!!! It can seem like there's so much one needs to know to get started that it's easy to feel overwhelmed, but just take it one step at a time and don't forget to breath. Do you have another pet store in your area? If not, I might ask to speak with the manager of the store you went to for set up needs...might get a better attitude, and probably more knowledge.

Wow...I'd like to thank everyone. I got home with my stuff earlier today, and fixed up my tank with a heater, thermometer, and HOB filter following all the instructions for each. After it ran for a while, I used my test kit to check out the stats. Everything was in the good area except for my nitrites were at caution (.5).

My fish seemed happy and quite eager to return to their home. I wasn't sure if I should feed them as I heard when they are sick they tend not to eat. But I decided to drop a couple bloodworms in to see what they did, ready to scoop them out if the tetras didn't seem interested. They went right for it as if they were starving to death! So I made sure they all got a little something to eat and sat back to watch them.

Almost immediately they seemed to be swimming around and playing with each other. They looked 100% better than last night and today. The stuff that covered the body of the one fish is gone now, but their tails and fins still show the erosion they endured. Will this grow back?

I will keep testing and cleaning out the gravel with the gravel vacuum to try to get all levels to stay at normal while the fish are recovering from this awful thing!

Anyway, I was so elated to see them back to playing and doing "swim bys" when I put my finger on the glass like they used to. You've made a single mom and her 3 1/2 year old daughter happy again (and three tetras and an algae eater). Thank you!!

Looks like I'm late to the party! Darn *grin*

The folks here have taken awesome care of you; the only thing I'd like to suggest is this website: http://faq.thekrib.com/begin-cycling.html in addition to the site snapcrackler gave you (I personally like it cause it uses words like poo and pee. I work with kids; does it show? ;) ). It nicely explains the nitrogen cycle and why those tests you are doing are so important, not just now but for the future of your tank. And keep the questions comin!

Glad to hear the progress! :D

Thanks Allivymar I am going to check out that site too. P&P don't bother me, man.... 8)

Regarding the fungus or whatever was on your fish, just keep that tank as healthy and clean as possible and keep an eye on it. Like keeping your socks clean... ya don't grow weird stuff on your toes that way :tongue: hehe
Allivymar what do you think regarding the fungus thing?

you may want to change out your pad in your HOB after a couple weeks and then after your tank cycles and stuff you should be able to leave the pads in longer than that. your first pad's carbon will be full of the bad stuff.

Actually, the "whitish substance" sounds like ammonia burns/overproduction of slime coat because of the ammonia to me, especially since they have recovered so quickly once they were in clean water. Its possible its actually a fungal or bacterial infection due to the stress of the water parameters but without further specifics its hard to say. Would definitely be a situation to watch in any case.

Btw snap, awesome post earlier in the thread (the shopping list); some kudos comin your way :)

Interesting info!!!

Thanks so much for your kind words and kudos. Everyone is so nice here it just makes my day brighter.

Besides teaching the world to sing and have a coke, we could teach the world how to be more like the folks I have met on this site. :pepsi:

OK I'm done. :soap:

:painting:

No, I don't have a testing kit of any kind. Or any chemicals of any kind outside of the stress coat stuff. The lady swore that was all I would need.

Never, ever go to that store again! Find a nice little lfs with nice helpful people that keep tanks that actually look alive instead of sterilized.

I had similar problems when I got my aquarium b/c I followed the chain pet store directions. Fortunately I went to a local store to actually buy the fish, and the owner wouldn't allow me to buy fish that couldn't handle the cycle, and explained the basics to me. And then I found this site, which helped *me* and my fishies survive the cycle! :D

Good Luck! Patience and maintence are the key.

Thank you for the continued pointers and help! Unfortunately, that pet store is the only place around here that sells anything fish related outside of Wal-mart. And it is a chain pet store. The closest specialty fish store is about 45 minute drive from me, and one I'd rather not make often with a 3 1/2 year old that hates car rides.

I took my test readings at 5:30 PM tonight and again at 10:30 PM tonight. I am guessing that I should probably change out some more water in the morning from the readings...but if someone has time to verify this for me, I'd appreciate it. I've read so much today, I want to make sure I understand it all and what I'm supposed to be doing.

5:30 readings (and descriptions in the test kit by each number):

Ammonia: .25 Safe
pH: 7.2 Neutral
KH: 40 Low
GH: 75 Soft
Nitrite: .5 Caution
Nitrate: 20 Safe

10:30 readings were exactly identical.

Temperature has now been maintained at 76° for the last seven hours (or more - not sure what it was before I got home with the thermometer!).

Back
Top Bottom