shell shock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hairball1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
OK Here I am again. mister no response to your replys, but I appreciate every ones advise!!! So here I go again. My partner just returned from Mazitlan and I had him bring me back some large shells which look like they have been cleaned very well. I'm interested in breeding some cichlids, particularly Tanganyikans, which to my understanding shells make a good home. My concern is, that introducing these shells into a fresh water tank, that any salt remaining may kill the fish. Should I not worry about it ,or should I boil the shells. :?

Boiling never hurts, so I'd reccomend that. I don't know that it would remove pollutants, but I've used shells from some pretty nasty water before, just boiled them, and had no problems.

Thanks for your advise. I never thought about polutants. I have no idea, so boiling may be a good idea. Wish me happy breeding.

Hehe. Bioling only doesn't hurt if doesn't *crack* the item you're boiling!!!!! Make sure to increase the water temp slowly so that the shells don't split.

I'd advise using bleach. Remarkably, this stuff has little effect on fish if used to clean ornaments/plants. I'd advise dropping the shells in a 10-20% bleach/water solution and leaving them for a 10 minute stretch or a little longer. Afterwards, wash *thoroughly* and make sure no bleach is left in the inner recesses of the shell. At this point, I'd think they're ready for your Lamprologus spp!!!

Bleach isn't an acidic solution, so it shouldn't cause your shells to fizz away, but check to be sure that there's no chemical reaction taking place! Keep an eye on the shells after you've added them to the bleach solution. Good on your partner for getting those shells for you!! Get some pictures of the shells up if you can.

I've got some fantastic shells that I picked up in Baja California (probably illegally now that I think of it, but I'm not sure of that...). I will certainly use them in the future for my Lamprologus, Neolamprologus spp. *when I get them...* And I will get them!

If you use bleach for cleaning them. rinse well and after cleaning fill a bucket again and put the shells in there. Then you can add about 5 to 10 times the conditioner you would normally use for a bucket that size and let it sit overnight. In the morning rinse once more and all should be great. :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom