Shopping list

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

w8tah

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi folks -- After work today, im heading out to pick up the chemicals and supplies for my tanks. And Im looking for input

I have used stress coat for a number of years with VERY good success and i'll be getting a big bottle of that. IM pretty well set for food with a variety of types knocking around here --

i know im getting a couple rummy nose tetras for the already established tank (its about 2 weeks old now -- they only had one rummy nose when i set it up, so he needs a couple buddies)

I read the article someone recomended about bio-spira last night and that looks interesting -- especially since my bigger tank runs a biowheel -- if i can find it id like to try that, but neither petland nor pet supplies plus here have it -- so i may be heading to RMS Aquaculture in berea tonight or tomorrow to check them out.

What else as far as treatments/ chemicals etc do you recomend etc. it feels good to be getting back into the hobby and i wanna do it right, as well as fairly cheaply

thanks

TIM

Bio-Spira is more for starting a new tank than for established tanks.
***********Buy liquid reagent test kits. Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, and pH at the minimum.*********
An assortment of medications are good to keep on hand. Personally, I keep Melafix, Pimafix, MarOxy, Maracyn Plus, Jungle Fungus Clear, and Jungle Parasite Clear.
Go to the bird section of the store and purchase some feeding syringes for baby birds. These are fantastic for measuring out water for testing and for dosing medication.
Aquarium Salt is good to have on hand, as well as extra filter floss and ceramic media.
Activated carbon for removing medications as needed and for instances where the tank has problems.
Clove oil
Extra airline tubing
Battery operated air pump
Flourish Excel if you plan to keep live plants

These are things I keep on hand.

i'd just substitute aquarium salt with good ol' kosher salt. rest look good.
MCD, thanks for the tip on the bird feeder syringes, definitely getting one.

What is the clove oil for -- ive never heard of using that before

TIM

I wouldn't buy medications unless you are expecting disease. If you pick healthy fish from the LFS then you shouldn't need meds. Some meds will expire and if you don't use them, you're wasting money.

I don't stock up on meds except for Melafix and Pimafix which can be used for fin problems and minor sores. And even those I don't use very often.

Aquarium salt would be a good thing to have as it can be used for many cases.

Besides the test kit (get liquid!) and the dechlorinator (water conditioner), i can't think of anything chemical related.

Are you going to have plants? If so you may want to pick up some fertilizer.

IM back from my shopping trip

i ended up picking up

Ammo-lock
stress zyme
stress coat

a bulb for the eclipse hood

4 rummy nose tetras
4 neons
1 angel (small marble)
2 cory cats -- one for each tank
2 pencil fish
3 fancy guppies

a net

every one looks happy in their surroundings
and the kids love to have the tanks in my office - -my comptuer guys raced right to them first thign when they came in today -- it was soooo cool

Back
Top Bottom