should I do a 4 foot light or 2 two foot lights?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amesdrew

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just wondering what everyone's thoughts on which would be better. My 55 has a plastic bar in the middle of the top of the tank, I'm debating whether I should just get 1 four foot two bulb light or 2 seperate two foot lights on fishneedit. The only difference in the lights is the 4 foot fixture has 54 watt bulbs and the two footer has 24 watt bulbs.

Any input plant geeks?
Drew

Well, I,ve dealt with lots of lights and you can choose from like six different kinds. What i would do would be get one that will help live plants and another for fish colour. I have a female guppy who likes beuitiful under that lighting and one of my orange platies looks a beuitiful bright red

There is a reason why the 4ft one has 54w lamps, it's to penetrate the tank all the way to the bottom. It is significantly brighter than 24w lamps. Get the 4ft one. also, the black bar in the middle would not support the 2 fixtures and can crack then you're in trouble.

4 footer - easier, brighter, cheaper. Heck on most 55 type tanks i get glass tops, and use a shop light. (with an attractive wood cover if desired).

Thanks for the input, I'll probably get the 4 foot light and maybe hide a exocotic LED under the plastic bar so I won't have an awkward shawdow in the middle of my tank. Can't wait to post pictures and have the thing up and running!

Your 55 G Lighting Question

Hello ames...

55 Gs are easy to light if you don't keep demanding plants. All you need is a single 48 inch bulb, 32 watt, 6500 K, T8 or a 40 watt 6500 K, T12 and you're "good to go".

Two Marineland glass covers work very well to support the light strip, that's what I use in my 55 Gs. There's plenty of light for low light plants. I have several 55 Gs I use to experiment with plants, substrates, liquid ferts and such. The bulbs work great and are easy to get at the local hardware stores for less than $10.00 each. Attached are a couple of pics of the tanks.

B

Here's what I got in this past Friday:

Odyssea 3 bulb T5 HO with timer and LEDs all built in. $90 shipped.

Thanks! Good find. I'm jealous, your tank looks good. I'm gonna buy the 4 foot light on fishneedit.com. no led lights but I know its a quality light.

I like tha t odyssea light, I really like the controls all right on the fixture... definitely looking into this one because of my budget... 90 for bulbs, moonlight and timer.. pretty good IMO

Back
Top Bottom