Shrimp tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Majbarsalona

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey I have a 20 gallon high not extra high aquarium with 25 RCS and many babies. I plan to let the shrimp breed and only have shrimp and threadfin rainbow fish in this tank. The tank is filtered with an aqueon 20 and an aquaclear 20 aswell as a DIY sponge filter. Considering the filtration and the tank being moderately to heavily planted, how many shrimp and threadfins can I have?

A couple hundred shrimp easily. My 10 gallon has over a hundred of them and I have no water quality issues. I have 3x male fancy tail guppies and a black mystery snail with them. I can't say how many rainbows though since I'm not familiar with them, but the shrimp you can go nuts with in regards to quantity.

The tank has an Aquaclear 30 and a Hydro-III sponge filter. Make sure you get filter intake covers. The sponge types are ok, but I like the shrimp-friendly pre-filters sold on Aquabid made of stainless steel screen material (about 13$ each though).

Zevyn said:
A couple hundred shrimp easily. My 10 gallon has over a hundred of them and I have no water quality issues. I have 3x male fancy tail guppies and a black mystery snail with them. I can't say how many rainbows though since I'm not familiar with them, but the shrimp you can go nuts with in regards to quantity.

The tank has an Aquaclear 30 and a Hydro-III sponge filter. Make sure you get filter intake covers. The sponge types are ok, but I like the shrimp-friendly pre-filters sold on Aquabid made of stainless steel screen material (about 13$ each though).

I ended up just using sponges but thanks for the advice! Also when you have a lot of shrimp does your tank ever seem empty?

I ended up just using sponges but thanks for the advice! Also when you have a lot of shrimp does your tank ever seem empty?

Not at all. They're the most active and interesting species I have in all of my tanks. I enjoy watching them more than my larger tanks. With that said, you don't really know how many you have until you throw some algae wafers in there. They all come out to eat, which makes you realize just how many you have in there hiding among the plants and such, but there's always activity going on since they're constantly trying to find things to nibble on.

Zevyn said:
Not at all. They're the most active and interesting species I have in all of my tanks. I enjoy watching them more than my larger tanks. With that said, you don't really know how many you have until you throw some algae wafers in there. They all come out to eat, which makes you realize just how many you have in there hiding among the plants and such, but there's always activity going on since they're constantly trying to find things to nibble on.

Haha awesome I can't wait for mine to take over my tank

Back
Top Bottom