Size of clown loaches...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

potterlu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

At the current moment, I have two tanks running: a 45 gallon and a 60 gallon. The 45 has a small oscar and three giant danios; the 60 has 3 albino corys, a handful of small tetras (30-ish), and 3 clown loaches.

On Monday, I am looking at picking up a used 125 gallon tank. My dilemma is this: I am not sure whether to move my community tank into the 125 and move the oscar and danios to the 60, or move the oscar and danios to the 125 and leave the others as they are. The problem is that I am fully aware that both the oscar and the clowns are going to grow large, and I have no desire to stunt the growth of either.

If anyone has input on how big they have personally seen clown loaches grow, I would love to hear it. I have heard ranges anywhere from 8 inches to 18 inches (in a 750 gallon tank), and am sort of mulling over what to do. At the current time, I'm thinking of moving the oscar and danios to the 125, and adding the clowns once they achieve a size where they won't be harassed/eaten by the oscar (6'' or so). Any advice anyone could offer would by greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Luke

I'd probably do the 125G as a community myself, and put the oscar in the 60G. Then what's the plan for the 45G? With the clown loaches in the 125G, you have lots of options for a really nice community setup.

Hi all,

To answer the above question, I'm going to have to give some background.

The reason for the move to the larger tank is more or less necessity. As mentioned, I have the oscar and the loaches, both of which get too large for their current homes. I currently have my 60, 45, a 25, a 10, a smallish 2 or 3 gallon that may become a quarantine or may never be used again, and will likely be getting a free 45 gallon and the aforementioned 125 next week.

As my apartment is overrun with tanks, the 45 will likely be broken down and put into storage. I'll have to see what comes down the pipe. At some point in time, I'd really like to try a saltwater tank, and one of the 45s may be that tank. Then again, I may put a couple of small cichlids in there. I may sell it to recover some of the costs of buying a 125 setup. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm always open to them; let me know.

Luke

I have seen one that was well over a foot (he recently died, but supposedly was first aquired in the '60s, believe it or not), and several that were close to a foot.

You certainly have your MTS under control. :lol: I'd do the community in the 125 gal. I've seen loaches at about 8" only but know they can get much bigger. Although I do sympathize with your dilemma, the lfs got an oscar in that had been in with a gar in a 50gal tank. The oscar is huge, 10 years old, and the gar is 18" long. They were very overcrowded. I'd still go with the community in the 125 and the oscar in the 60. It sounds like by the time the oscar is big enough, you would end up with more tanks anyway. LOL

Back
Top Bottom